Showing 1 through 10 of 13 articles for tag bear
- Monday, September 28, 2020 - Protect both people and bears by securing garbage and other items that might attract these animals to your yard or neighborhood.
- Monday, October 21, 2019 - The first webinar will be held Thursday, Oct. 24 and the second webinar will be held Tuesday, Oct. 29, both from 6 to 8 p.m. (ET).
- Monday, September 9, 2019 - In the fall, Florida black bears begin preparing for the winter by consuming extra calories to pack on fat. During this time, they will eat anything that’s convenient and feeding on garbage provides more calories and less effort than foraging in the woods.
- Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - During the investigation, FWC officers gathered evidence of numerous illegal acts in several Florida counties on both private and public lands. Prosecution of this case is being coordinated by the Florida Attorney General’s Office of Statewide Prosecution.
- Monday, October 8, 2018 -
- Monday, October 1, 2018 - To be prepared for winter, bears require around 20,000 calories a day and will eat anything that’s convenient. Getting food from a garbage can often provide bears with more calories in a shorter amount of time than foraging in the woods.
- Wednesday, September 12, 2018 -
- Thursday, August 9, 2018 - The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) will be providing up to $500,000 in BearWise funding to local governments to help reduce human-bear conflicts. The funding helps offset some of the costs for residents and businesses to acquire bear-resistant trash cans and dumpsters.
- Monday, June 4, 2018 - For a third year in a row, the FWC is inviting local governments to apply for BearWise funding to help their communities reduce human-bear conflicts.
- Friday, May 11, 2018 - FWC biologists believe the adult bear is responsible for attacking several dogs and opening and entering multiple unoccupied, parked vehicles.