Skip to main content

Boating & Navigation

General Boating Information

  • Boating Regulations
  • Boating Registration:  the FWC does not register or title vessels. Applications may be made at a county tax collector's office (tag office).

Boating Safety Education

Anyone born on or after Jan. 1, 1988 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass an approved boater safety course and be issued with a boating safety education identification card.  This ID card must be in his/her possession along with photographic identification.  For more information, visit Boating Safety Education ID Card for more information.

Protection Zone Permits

Permits can be obtained to operate vessel in a protected area.  Visit Manatee Protection Zones for more information.

Waterway Markers

Permits to install markers for boating safety, private aids to navigation, moorings, manatee protection, and/or informational type markers are available.  Please visit Uniform Waterway Marker Application.

Paddling Trail Permits

Primitive campsites have been established on the Big Bend WMA for use by through-paddlers on the Big Bend Saltwater Paddling Trail.  Paddlers must possess a permit to use these sites.  Visit Big Bend Saltwater Paddling Trail Camping Permits.