Freshwater Fishing Regulations
Fish Rules App
The popular Fish Rules App has been updated to include freshwater regulations! Look for it in the App Store and Google Play for iOS and Android. Enable Location Services to see site-specific regulations for your location.
Shoal Bass Rule
Chipola River and its tributaries: No person shall kill or possess shoal bass on the Chipola River or its tributaries. Any shoal bass that are caught must be released immediately.
New regulations effective July 1, 2021
The 2021-2022 summary of Florida's freshwater fishing rules and regulations is available:
- E-Regulations online or
- Complete printable version (10 MB) or
- Select items from the table of contents below.
Other regulatory resources include:
- Complete official rules can be found in the Wildlife Code online (see Chapter 68)
- Florida Statutes (for freshwater fishing see Chapter 379, F.S.)
- The Florida Constitution (FWC Article IV, Section 9)
- Commercial Freshwater Fishing Regulations
NOTE: For important information about eating fish see:
- The Department of Health's Florida Fish Consumption Advisories
Table of Contents
New Rule Changes
Feature Article - Conservation Highlights from FWC
Fishing Tips from the Pros
Fishing License Requirements and Fees
Do I Need a License?
Methods of Taking Fish
Methods of Taking Bait
Release/Movement of Fish
Taking and Possession of Freshwater Mussels
General Statewide Bag and Length Limits
Special Bag and Length Limits
Fish Management Areas