Showing 91 through 100 of 134 articles for tag wildlife
- Wednesday, December 6, 2017 - The small island, known as Port Orange Colony and now approved as a CWA, shelters hundreds of brown pelicans during nesting season.
- Tuesday, December 5, 2017 - The agency has focused its efforts on high-priority invasive species such as Burmese pythons, lionfish and Argentine black and white tegus.
- Friday, November 17, 2017 - BearWise funding will help communities purchase and provide bear-resistant trash cans, dumpsters and other equipment to their residents at a discounted cost.
- Thursday, November 16, 2017 - Florida is the only place in the world where the Osceola subspecies is found. Also known as the Florida wild turkey, this unique bird lives only on the Florida peninsula. It's similar to the eastern subspecies, which is found in north Florida, but tends to be smaller and darker with less white barring on the wings.
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017 - With the arrival of Manatee Awareness Month, people again are slowing down and looking out for these large aquatic mammals in waterways throughout the state.
- Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - The FWC will evaluate the applications, prioritizing the communities with BearWise ordinances requiring residents and businesses to keep garbage secure from bears.
- Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - To be ready for leaner winter months, bears require around 20,000 calories a day and will eat anything that’s convenient. Accessing unsecured garbage often provides more calories in a shorter amount of time than foraging in the woods.
- Thursday, August 31, 2017 - These videos are designed to help educate the public about how to safely coexist with bears in Florida.
- Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - Sea turtle hatchlings are small and appear helpless, so people may make the mistake of thinking they need assistance getting to the water. But you can help hatchlings home by leaving them alone.
- Monday, July 31, 2017 - The county and city purchased 250 sets of hardware that can be added to regular, sturdy trash cans to make them bear resistant.