News about Hunting and the Shooting Sports
The Hunting Hot Sheet is a monthly e-newsletter that provides updates about hunting, conservation, and FWC-managed shooting ranges. Scroll through for information about hunting season dates, where to hunt, programs, events, and more.
- Holiday hunting and conservation opportunities - December 2018
- Hunting seasons: what you need to know - November 2018
- Advice for upcoming deer seasons - September 2018
- Find Florida hunting opportunities! - August 2018
- Get ready for fall hunting - June 2018
- 2018-2019 hunting guide: Plan your upcoming season - May 2018
- Turkey season tips - March 2018
- Special youth hunting edition - February 2018
Outta' the Woods is a monthly column highlighting hunting opportunities in Florida. Written by Tony Young, media relations coordinator for the Division of Hunting and Game Management, the column provides easy-to-understand information about Florida's hunting rules, regulations and quota-application processes.
- Florida offers unique waterfowl hunting opportunities (1/8/2019)
- A look at migratory bird management and hunting (12/3/2018)
- #WhoTaughtYou to hunt? (11/5/2018)
- Extend your hunting season with a muzzleloader (10/3/2018)
- Tips to improve your bow season (9/5/2018)
- Help prevent CWD (8/7/2018)
- Join the Dove Club or go primitive on St. Vincent Island (7/2/2018)
- Take a hunter safety class this summer! (6/4/2018)
- Apply for alligator and fall hunt permits! (5/3/2018)
- Go hog wild this spring and summer! (4/2/2018)
- Working together through partnerships, restoring turkeys in Holmes County is huge success (3/2/2018)
- Take a kid duck hunting during Youth Waterfowl Hunting Days (1/29/2018)
Serve WILD Turkey for a Different Twist on a Holiday Favorite
Florida’s abundant wild turkey populations can provide the ultimate healthy, organic and delicious holiday feast when knowledge, skill and good fortune come together for a successful wild turkey hunt. Fresh From Florida chefs with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services have developed several mouth-watering wild turkey recipes using a variety of Fresh from Florida products.
Wild turkey meat is lean and contains no preservatives, hormones or antibiotics so it’s a tasty and smart choice for healthy eating. It’s also a versatile protein. Fresh from Florida chefs adapted the following recipes using wild turkey:
- Wild turkey with citrus brine: See how it’s made video (54 seconds)
- Wild turkey quesadilla: See how it’s made video (1:00)
- Wild turkey hash
- Wild turkey cottage pie
- Wild turkey salad
- Wild turkey tikka masala
- Florida sweet corn and sausage stuffing: See how it’s made video (50 seconds)
Find more recipes at FollowFreshFromFlorida.com
The Sunshine State is home to robust populations of two wild turkey subspecies: the eastern and the Osceola wild turkey. Florida is unique because the Osceola subspecies lives on the state’s peninsula and nowhere else in the world.
- Wild turkey conservation success story video (1:10)
- How wild turkeys differ from domestic birds video (46 seconds)
- Wild turkey biology and behavior video (48 seconds)
Learn more about wild turkeys including their habitat needs and where they live in Florida.
Turkey hunting in Florida is a chance to experience the outdoors in a special way. The FWC uses scientifically proven wildlife-management strategies and professional expertise to meet conservation objectives and perpetuate sustainable wild turkey hunting opportunities Learn more about how to get started hunting.
- Wild turkey hunting video (1:08)