Chassahowitzka - Planning Your Visit
In the fall you can hunt for white-tailed deer and feral hogs on Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area. The best times to hike or bike are on non-hunting days in the fall through the spring. In the fall the wet prairies scattered throughout the flatwoods are ablaze with wildflowers. Heat, humidity, and mosquitoes are likely to be intense in the summer.
Throughout the year, you can take a driving tour deep into the hardwood swamp. Hunting is prohibited on the Weeki Wachee Tract and the Seville Tract. Only small game hunting is permitted on the Annutteliga Hammock Tract.
- Get directions to Chassahowitztka Wildlife Management Area.
- A Chassahowitzka WMA SCUBA Diving Registration is required and must be on-file with the FWC prior to SCUBA diving at Eagles Nest Sink or Buford Spring.
- Order the Chassahowitzka Recreation Guide.
- See the Regulations Summary for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted, except south of County Road 550, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Find regulations regarding hunting dogs in the Regulations Summary.
- Vault toilets are available at the main designated entrance on Rattlesnake Camp Road and at the parking area at Eagles Nest Sink.
- A Daily-Use Permit is required to enter this area, unless you have purchased a Wildlife Management Area Permit. To hunt or fish you must also possess the appropriate license and permit.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2019 through June 2020)
|Archery||September 14 through October 13|
|Muzzleloading Gun||October 19-21|
|General Gun||November 2 through December 29|
|Wild Hog-Dog||January 10-12 and 17-19 (Hunting wild hog with dogs is allowed only in Zones B and C)|
|Raccoon||January 30 through February 23 and April 30 through May 24 (1½ hours before sunset on Thursdays until 1½ hours after sunrise on Sundays only)|
|Spring Turkey – Youth||March 14-15|
|Spring Turkey||March 27-29, April 10-12 and 24-26 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|