Chassahowitzka - Planning Your Visit
In the fall you can hunt for white-tailed deer and feral hogs on Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area. The best times to hike or bike are on non-hunting days in the fall through the spring. In the fall the wet prairies scattered throughout the flatwoods are ablaze with wildflowers. Heat, humidity, and mosquitoes are likely to be intense in the summer.
Throughout the year, you can take a driving tour deep into the hardwood swamp. Hunting is prohibited on the Weeki Wachee Tract and the Seville Tract. Only small game hunting is permitted on the Annutteliga Hammock Tract.
- Get directions to Chassahowitztka Wildlife Management Area.
- A Chassahowitzka WMA SCUBA Diving Registration is required and must be on-file with the FWC prior to SCUBA diving at Eagles Nest Sink or Buford Spring.
- Order the Chassahowitzka Recreation Guide.
- See the regulations summary for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted, except south of County Road 550, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Find regulations regarding hunting dogs in the regulations summary.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- A Daily-Use Permit is required to enter this area, unless you have purchased a Wildlife Management Area Permit. To hunt or fish you must also possess the appropriate license and permit.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2018 through June 2019)
|Archery||September 15 through October 14|
|Muzzleloading Gun||October 20-22|
|General Gun||November 3 through December 30|
|Wild Hog-Dog||January 11-13 and 18-20 (Hunting wild hog with dogs is allowed only in Zones B and C)|
|Raccoon||January 31 through February 24 and May 2-26 (1½ hours before sunset on Thursdays until 1½ hours after sunrise on Sundays only)|
|Spring Turkey – Youth||March 9-10 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
|Spring Turkey||March 22-24, April 5-7 and 19-21 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
Calendar does not reflect migratory game bird hunting seasons; please check the regulations summary for specifics.