Guana River - Planning Your Visit
Guana River is an excellent place to hike and view wildlife, especially birds, year-round. Temperatures are likely to be cooler and bugs fewer fall through spring. During April and October, especially with a west wind or after a cold front, this is the best place in northeast Florida to see peregrine falcons and bugs are likely to be more scarce. In January and February, white pelicans may be observed on Lake Ponte Vedra. On Big Savannah and other ponds you are likely to see wood storks, roseate spoonbills, and other wading birds especially from May through September. Duck hunting season occurs on varying dates in September, November, December and January. The Roscoe Boulevard Extension entrance is open for public access only from sunrise to sunset and closed during scouting, archery, muzzleloading gun, general gun, small game and spring turkey seasons.
- Get directions to the Guana River Wildlife Management Area.
- Find entrances at Guana River Wildlife Management Area.
- Download or order the Guana River WMA Recreation Guide.
- Download the Guana River trail map.
- For hours of operation, vehicle use guidelines and hunting information, see the regulations summary brochure.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Find regulations regarding hunting dogs in the regulations summary brochure.
- Restrooms are available at this location.
- The Department of Environmental Protection charges $3.00 to enter at the dam. There is no cost for Management Area permit holders. Six mile boat ramp and Roscoe entrances are free. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
- During scheduled hunt days, all WMA visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Guana River Hunting Seasons
Archery: Oct 8-10, 15-17
Muzzleloading Gun: Oct 23-25, Oct 29-31
General Gun: Nov 19-21, 26-28
Small Game: Dec 3-5, 10-12, Jan 7-9, 14-16, 21-23, 28-30
Turkey: Mar 19-21, 25-27, Apr 1-3
Migratory Birds: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulations summary brochure.