Aucilla - Planning Your Visit
The area offers many fall days for hunting deer and feral hog, including dates for archery and muzzleloading guns. The winter small game season usually yields excellent results, and there is a spring turkey season. Special feral hog hunts are available during the spring and summer months. Canoeing or kayaking on the Wacissa River or hiking on the Aucilla trails is generally best in the spring, winter and fall when temperatures are pleasant and there are fewer bugs.
In the spring, the hardwood hammock islands along the Wacissa are covered with zephyr lilies and wild irises. Even in the summer, paddling on the Wacissa is enjoyable by cooling off in one of the many springs that feed the river. In the fall, enjoy the colorful foliage of the sweetgums and red maples and the songs of migratory warblers along the Aucilla Sinks Trail. The Florida Natural Scenic Trail traverses the area and is open to hikers throughout the year.
- Get directions to Aucilla Wildlife Management Area.
- Download the Aucilla Recreation Guide.
- See the regulations summary brochure for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochure.
- Restrooms are available only at Goose Pasture and the headwaters of the Wacissa.
- No Daily-Use Permit currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
- During scheduled hunt days, all WMA visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Aucilla WMA Hunting Seasons
Wild Hog-Dog: Jul 9-11, Aug 13-15, Sep 3-5, May 13-15, Jun 10-12
Archery: Sep 18 – Oct 17 (except in the Pinhook still hunt area)
Sep 18-26, Oct 9-17 (Pinhook still hunt area)
Muzzleloading Gun: Oct 23-25
Family Still Hunt: Oct 30-31 (only in the Pinhook still hunt area)
General Gun: Nov 6 - Jan 2 (except in the Pinhook still hunt area)
Nov 6-12, 13-19, Nov 20-28 (Pinhook still hunt area only)
Wild Hog-Still: Dec 18 – Jan 2 (only in the Pinhook still hunt area)
Small Game: Nov 29 – Dec 17 (only in the Pinhook still hunt area)
Jan 3 – Mar 6
Turkey: Mar 19 – Apr 24
Youth Turkey: Mar 12-13
Migratory Birds: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulations summary brochure.