Aucilla - Planning Your Visit
The area offers many fall days for hunting deer and feral hog. The winter small game season is nearly two months and usually yields excellent results. Canoeing or kayaking on the Wacissa River or hiking on the Aucilla trails is generally best in the spring, winter and fall when temperatures are pleasant and there are fewer bugs.
In the spring, the hardwood hammock islands along the Wacissa are covered with zephyr lilies and wild irises. Even in the summer, paddling on the Wacissa is enjoyable by cooling off in one of the many springs that feed the river. In the fall, enjoy the colorful foliage of the sweetgums and red maples and the songs of migratory warblers along the Aucilla Sinks Trail. The Florida Natural Scenic Trail traverses the area and is open to hikers throughout the year.
- Get directions to Aucilla Wildlife Management Area.
- Order the Aucilla Recreation Guide.
- See the Regulations Summary for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the Regulations Summary brochure.
- Restrooms are available only at Goose Pasture and the headwaters of the Wacissa.
- No Daily-Use Permit currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2018 through June 2019)
|Wild Hog-Dog||July 13-15, August 10-12 and September 7-9, 2018; and May 10-12 and June 14-16, 2019|
|Archery||September 15 through October 14 (except in the Pinhook still hunt area) September 15-23 and October 6-14 (Pinhook still hunt area)|
|Muzzleloading Gun||October 20-22|
|Family Still Hunt||October 27-28 (only in the Pinhook still hunt area)|
|General Gun||November 3 through December 30 (except in the Pinhook still hunt area) November 3-9, 10-16 and 17-25 (Pinhook still hunt area)|
|Wild Hog-Still||December 15-30 (only in the Pinhook still hunt area)|
|Small Game||November 26 through December 14 (only in the Pinhook still hunt area) December 31 through March 3|
|Trapping Season||December 31 through March 1|
|Spring Turkey - Youth||March 9-10 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1 p.m.)|
|Spring Turkey||March 16 through April 21 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1 p.m.)|
Calendar does not reflect migratory game bird hunting seasons; please check the regulations summary for specifics.