Aucilla - Planning Your Visit
The area offers many fall days for hunting deer and feral hog. The winter small game season is nearly two months and usually yields excellent results. Canoeing or kayaking on the Wacissa River or hiking on the Aucilla trails is generally best in the spring, winter and fall when temperatures are pleasant and there are fewer bugs.
In the spring, the hardwood hammock islands along the Wacissa are covered with zephyr lilies and wild irises. Even in the summer, paddling on the Wacissa is enjoyable by cooling off in one of the many springs that feed the river. In the fall, enjoy the colorful foliage of the sweetgums and red maples and the songs of migratory warblers along the Aucilla Sinks Trail. The Florida Natural Scenic Trail traverses the area and is open to hikers throughout the year.
- Get directions to Aucilla Wildlife Management Area.
- Order the Aucilla Recreation Guide.
- See the regulations summary brochure for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochure.
- Restrooms are available only at Goose Pasture and the headwaters of the Wacissa.
- No Daily-Use Permit currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.