Apalachicola River - Planning Your Visit
Opportunities for outdoor recreation are available year-round. Fishing can be excellent throughout the year. Paddling is good year-round but the best times are fall and spring when temperatures are pleasant and there are fewer bugs. Birding opportunities are also at their peak during the fall and spring. Hunting opportunities vary, with archery season beginning in October through spring turkey season ending in April.
- Get directions to Apalachicola River Wildlife and Environmental Area.
- Order the Apalachicola River WEA Recreation Guide or print the shorter Ready, Set, Go! Guide.
- See the regulations summary brochure for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted (except during spring turkey season), but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochure.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- No daily-use or wildlife management area permits are currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
- During scheduled hunt days, all visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Apalachicola River WEA Hunting Seasons
Archery: Oct 23 – Nov 21
Small Game: Nov 13 – Mar 6
General Gun: Nov 25-28, Dec 11 – Feb 2
Muzzleloading Gun: Dec 4-6
Wild Hog-Dog: 2021: Jul 16-18, Aug 20-22, Sep 17-19; 2022: May 20-22, Jun 17-19
Archery/Muzzleloading Gun: Feb 3-13
Turkey: Mar 19 – Apr 24
Migratory Birds: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulations summary brochure.