Apalachicola River - Planning Your Visit
Opportunities for outdoor recreation are available year-round. Fishing can be excellent throughout the year. Paddling is good year-round but the best times are fall and spring when temperatures are pleasant and there are fewer bugs. Birding opportunities are also at their peak during the fall and spring. Hunting opportunities vary, with archery season beginning in October through spring turkey season ending in April.
- Get directions to Apalachicola River Wildlife and Environmental Area.
- Order the Apalachicola River WEA Recreation Guide or print the shorter Ready, Set, Go! Guide.
- See the Regulations Summary brochure for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted (except during spring turkey season), but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the Regulations Summary brochure.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- No daily-use or wildlife management area permits are currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
This calendar is not a comprehensive guide to the hunting seasons on this area. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the Regulations Summary.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2019 through June 2020)
|Wild Hog- Dog Season||July 19-21, August 16-18 and September 20- 22, 2019; and May 15-17 and June 19-21, 2020.|
|Archery||October 26 - November 24|
|Small Game||November 9 - March 1|
|General Gun||November 28 - December 1 and December 14 - February 5|
|Trapping||December 1 through March 1|
|Muzzleloading Gun||December 7-9|
|Archery/Muzzleloading Gun||February 6-16|
|Spring Turkey||March 21 - April 26|