Apalachicola River - Planning Your Visit
Opportunities for outdoor recreation are available year-round. Fishing can be excellent throughout the year. Paddling is good year-round but the best times are fall and spring when temperatures are pleasant and there are fewer bugs. Birding opportunities are also at their peak during the fall and spring. Hunting opportunities vary, with archery season beginning in October through spring turkey season ending in April.
- Get directions to Apalachicola River Wildlife and Environmental Area.
- Order the Apalachicola River WEA Recreation Guide or print the shorter Ready, Set, Go! Guide.
- See the Regulations Summary brochure for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted (except during spring turkey season), but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the Regulations Summary brochure.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- No daily-use or wildlife management area permits are currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2018 through June 2019)
|Fox, Raccoon, Opossum, and Bobcat||Allowed year round except the use of dogs is prohibited during spring turkey season (March 17 through April 22|
|Wild Hog- Dog Season||July 21-23, August 18-20, and September 15-17, 2017; May 18-20 and June 15-17, 2018 (wild hog-dog area only|
|Archery||October 20 through November 18|
|Small Game||November 10 through March 3|
|General Gun||November 22-25 and December 8 through January 30|
|Trapping||December 1 through March 1|
|Muzzleloading Gun||December 1-3|
|Archery/Muzzleloading Gun||January 31 through February 10|
|Spring Turkey||March 16 through April 21 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1 p.m.)|
Calendar does not reflect migratory game bird hunting seasons; please check the regulations summary for specifics.