Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Exactly which species of ducks does this rule cover, since most domestic ducks are derived from mallards?

    Provision (1) of the rule states:  
    "For the purposes of this section, "mallard" includes all Anas platyrhynchos and fertile hybrids thereof except the white variety of Anas platyrhynchos commonly known as "Pekin" ducks."   

    Most domestic ducks are members of Anas platyrhynchos domesticus, so all provisions of this rule apply. However, this rule does not apply to Pekin ducks, muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata), or any other species that is not Anas platyrhynchos. Check with the seller or breeder before purchasing any variety of domestic duck. 
  2. What permits allow me to possess mallards in Florida? 

    There are several permits (listed on the Mallard Permit page) that allow you to possess mallards, including a free personal pet permit.
  3. What if I already possess mallards and they are free-ranging on my property, are they "grandfathered in"?

    No, this rule requires anyone possessing mallards to obtain a permit and requires that mallards be caged as specified in the rule. (See #5 below for information on caging)
  4. What permits are needed for feed-and-seed-type stores to possess mallards?

    If the feed store possess/sells game birds only, a Game Farm License is needed, per  372.16, F.S.    If the feed store possess/sells game birds and other wildlife, an  Exhibition or Sale Permit is needed, per  372.921, F.S. 

  5. What are the caging requirements for mallards?

    Mallards must be caged as specified in Rule 68A-6.0023 and 68A-6.004, F.A.C. (These include specific cage sizes and specifications based on the number of ducks housed, sanitary considerations, shelter provision, etc).

    In addition, persons other than those permitted pursuant to Rule 68A-12.010, F.A.C.(Private Hunting Preserves), shall meet the following requirements:
    1. All cages and enclosures containing mallards capable of flight shall be covered at the top to prevent escape, and
    2. East of Jefferson County, cages and enclosures containing flightless mallards shall be covered at the top to prevent interaction with wild waterfowl.
  6. I have mallards in my backyard/ neighborhood pond, can I bring these mallards into captivity once I obtain a permit for mallard possession from the FWC?

    If the mallards in question are not already in your possession, but are free-ranging, according to Federal law you may not bring them into captivity unless they are properly marked as captive-reared. Federal regulations (50 CFR 21.13) define captive-reared mallards as those that are
    ...physically marked by at least one of the following methods prior to 6 weeks of age and all such ducks hatched, reared, and retained in captivity thereafter shall be so marked prior to reaching 6 weeks of age. (1) Removal of the hind toe from the right foot. (2) Pinioning of a wing: provided that this method shall be the removal of the metacarpal bones of one wing or a portion of the metacarpal bones which renders the bird permanently incapable of flight. (3) Banding of one metatarsus with a seamless metal band. (4) Tattooing of a readily discernible number or letter or combination thereof on the web of one foot. (c) When so marked, such live birds may be disposed of to, or acquired from, any person and possessed and transferred in any number at any time or place: provided that all such birds shall be physically marked prior to sale or disposal regardless of whether or not they have attained 6 weeks of age.
  7. I live out-of-state, but would like to purchase mallards in Florida to keep at my property in another state, do I need a permit from FWC?

    Yes, regardless of where you live or the final destination of the mallards, you need a permit from FWC because you will be in possession of mallards in Florida. Failure to have an FWC permit while in possession of mallards in Florida is a violation. Additionally, if you cross state lines without a permit, a Federal violation has been committed (the Lacey Act, which relates to interstate transportation of wildlife).
  8. I am interested in using mallards for field trial/ dog training purposes, how does this rule affect me?

    Per rule (FAC 68A-4.0052), a permit is not required to release mallards for field trials.  However, a permit is required for possession of mallards.  Additional information is available on the release of mallards for retriever field trials.
  9. I am interested in using mallards for falcon training purposes, how does this new rule affect me?

    A permit is required in order for anyone to possess mallards. Therefore, you would need any one of the permits listed on the Mallard permit page, in addition to any Falconry permit required.