Three Lakes - Planning Your Visit
In mid-August, birders are drawn to Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area as fall warbler migration begins. Bald eagles are present throughout the year. Three Lakes is part of the highest concentration of bald eagle nests in the contiguous United States. The WMA is a part of the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail. Hike along the Florida National Scenic Trail and enjoy the colorful flush of wildflowers in the spring and fall. Hiking, bicycling and horseback riding are most pleasant in the fall through the spring when water levels are likely to be lower and temperatures cooler.
Opportunities for hunting on Three Lakes WMA occur during many days in the fall, winter and spring. There are fewer hunting days on the Prairie Lakes Unit. The Sunset Ranch tract is closed to hunting. On the lakes, specks are generally abundant January through March, and fishing for bluegill and redear sunfish is generally best late spring through the summer. Catfish may be caught at Parker Slough and Jackson Canal throughout the year.
- Get directions to Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area or Three Lakes WMA's Prairie Lakes Unit.
- Order the Three Lakes WMA Prairie Lakes Unit Recreation Guide.
- For hours of operation and vehicle use, see the regulations summary brochures for Three Lakes and the Three Lakes/Prairie Lakes Unit.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochures for Three Lakes and the Three Lakes/Prairie Lakes Unit.
- A Daily-Use Permit is required to enter this area, unless you have purchased a Wildlife Management Area Permit. To hunt or fish you must also possess the appropriate licenses and permits.
- Restrooms are available at this location.
- During scheduled hunt days, all WMA visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Three Lakes WMA Hunt Calendars
Three Lakes Year-at-a-Glance
Prairie Lakes Unit Year-at-a-Glance
These calendars are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulation summary brochures for Three Lakes and the Three Lakes/Prairie Lakes Unit.