Spirit-of-the-Wild - Planning Your Visit
Spirit-of-the-Wild WMA offers year-round opportunities for outdoor recreation. Small, high-quality hunts are held on several weekends in late summer and fall. Spring turkey hunts include a youth hunt. In the fall, winter and spring, temperatures are usually pleasant. These are the best times to hike, bicycle and horseback ride and to see a variety of migratory birds. Butterfly and plant enthusiasts will appreciate fall blooming wildflowers and the many species of butterflies that they attract.
- Get directions to Spirit-of-the-Wild WMA.
- For hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines, see the regulations summary brochure.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochure.
- Horses are not allowed during periods open to hunting
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- No daily-use or wildlife management area permits are currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
- During scheduled hunt days, all WMA visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Spirit-of-the-Wild Hunting Seasons
Archery: Aug 6-9, 13-16, 20-23, 27-30
Muzzleloading Gun: Sep 10-12
General Gun: Sep 18-20, 24-26, Oct 1-3
Small Game: Oct 9 – Feb 20
Turkey: Mar 5-7, 12-14, Apr 2-4
Youth Turkey: Feb 26-27
Non-native Reptiles: Year-round (firearms may be used only during open hunting seasons)
Migratory Birds: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulations summary brochure.