Caravelle - Planning Your Visit
Recreational opportunities are available on Caravelle Ranch Wildlife Management Area year-round. In October, there is a supervised youth small game hunt. Paddling on the Ocklawaha River is especially pleasant in the fall when temperatures are lower and scarlet hibiscus are blooming along the banks. Horseback riding, hiking and bicycling are best in the fall and spring on nonhunting days. The Florida National Scenic Trail traverses the area and is open to hikers throughout the year. Spring is an excellent time for birders who may see as many as 15 swallow-tailed kites circling the sky. Fishing on the Ocklawaha is generally best in May and June.
- Get directions to Caravelle Ranch Wildlife Management Area.
- See the regulations summary for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Find regulations regarding hunting dogs in the regulations summary.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- No daily-use permit is currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2018 through June 2019)
|Special-Opportunity Dove||September 22 and 29, November 24, December 22, and January 5 and 19 (Shooting hours are from noon until sunset)|
|Supervised Small Game||October 6-14|
|Muzzleloading Gun||October 26-28|
|General Gun||November 7-11 and 14-18|
|Small Game||November 22 through January 6 (Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only)|
|Spring Turkey - Youth||March 9-10 (south of the Cross Florida Barge Canal only) (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
|Spring Turkey||March 20-24 and 27-31 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
Calendar does not reflect migratory game bird hunting seasons; please check the regulations summary for specifics.