Log Landing Wildlife Management Area
Managed in cooperation with the Suwannee River Water Management District.
The Log Landing Wildlife Management Area (WMA) occupies 1,147 acres along the banks of the Suwannee River in northeastern Dixie County. The river forms the four and one-half mile eastern boundary.
Habitats include floodplain swamp associated with the river, upland mixed forest, sandhill and bottomland forest. The Suwannee River Water Management District manages the natural resources and recreation on the Log Landing Tract; the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission administers hunting related activities. Wildlife species include limpkin, little blue heron, white ibis and other wading birds; swallow-tailed and Mississippi kites (spring and summer); and deer, squirrel and gopher tortoises. Suwannee cooters and otters occur in the river.
Recreational opportunities in the WMA include hunting, fishing, horseback riding, hiking, bicycling and wildlife viewing on existing unpaved roads. From September to March, hunts take place on limited days. They include seasons for archery, muzzleloading gun, small game and spring turkey. Fishing and frogging are allowed year-round. Check the list below for regulations and more detailed information about hunting seasons. The forest is open for public use year-round, from 1.5 hours before sunrise until 1.5 hours after sunset. There are two entrances to the WMA along its northern border. Motorized vehicles are prohibited.
Rules Regarding Dogs
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited.
- Hunting deer or wild hog with dogs is prohibited. Hunting with dogs is prohibited, except bird dogs and dogs with a shoulder height of 15 inches or less may be used during the small game season. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited. Dogs on leashes may be used for trailing wounded game.
- Suwannee River Water Management District: (386) 362-1001 or (800) 226-1066
- Visit the Suwannee River Water Management District web site for Log Landing Tract.
- View FWC's regulations summary brochure for Log Landing WMA for an area map, hunting seasons, permits, fees and area regulations..