Green Swamp WMA
Managed in cooperation with
Southwest Florida Water Management District
Green Swamp WMA consists of 50,692 acres in Lake, Polk, and Sumter counties. Also known as Green Swamp East, this area is part of the approximately 110,000 acres purchased to protect the land and water resources of the Green Swamp Basin. Green Swamp is a critical recharge area for the Floridian aquifer as well as the source of the Hillsborough, Withlacoochee, Ocklawaha, and Peace rivers. Most of the landscape is pine flatwoods, cypress domes, and hardwoods swamps. Freshwater fishing is good along this segment of the Withlacoochee River. Stanley Fish Hole and Maynard Mines, both accessed from SR 471, are popular fishing spots. Paddling on the Withlacoochee east of SR 471 is not recommended due to the poorly defined channel and numerous logjams. Deer, hog, and turkey hunting are good, although high water makes hunting and other recreational activities difficult at times. More than 20 miles of the Florida Trail, 13.1 miles of which are part of the Florida National Scenic Trail, traverse the area. Portions of the trail are inundated in all but the driest years. Over 20 miles of unpaved service roads are marked for bicycling.
Add your bird observations to the following Green Swamp WMA eBird Hotspots:
Camping is permitted year round at designated campsites and along the Florida Trail. Camping during non-hunting periods requires a permit from the Southwest Florida Water Management District, Brooksville office, (352) 796-7211. Camping during hunting periods requires a camping permit from the FWC; an application may be submitted at a license agent or county tax collector's office or online.
Rules Regarding Dogs
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed during hunting periods, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. During non-hunting periods the possession of dogs shall only be as authorized by the Southwest Florida Water Management District. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited.
- Hunting dogs may be taken onto the WMA after 8 a.m. the day before the opening of a season and shall be removed on the last day of each season. Hunting with dogs is prohibited, except bird dogs are allowed during all seasons and any dog may be used during the wild hog-dog season. Each wild hog-dog hunting group may have up to 3 free-running dogs. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited. Dogs on leashes may be used for trailing wounded game.
- Also see the website for Green Swamp West Unit.
- Visit Southwest Florida Water Management District's Recreation web site and Interactive web site for Green Swamp.
- View FWC's Regulations Summary for Green Swamp for an area map, hunting seasons, permits, fees, and area regulations.