8 Tips for Creating Wildlife Habitat at Home
1. Provide the elements of good habitat essential to all wildlife – food, water, shelter and space to raise young.
2. Plant a variety of native trees and other plants to supply year-round nectar flowers, fruits and nuts. Native wildlife is adapted to native plants.
3. Limit use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
4. Include plantings for hummingbirds, butterflies and other insect pollinators.
5. Ensure water is clean and plentiful.
6. Leave standing dead trees and stumps or rotting logs where possible to provide nesting cavities and basking sites.
7. Become inspired by visiting some natural areas managed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
8. Purchase Planting a Refuge for Wildlife to learn how to create your wildlife habitat.