Okaloacoochee Slough - Planning Your Visit
Okaloacoochee Slough offers year-round opportunities for recreation. Small, high-quality hunts are held on several weekends in the late summer and fall. Turkey hunts are scheduled in the spring. The late fall, winter and spring are best times to hike, bike and horseback ride and to see a variety of migratory birds. Butterfly and plant enthusiasts will appreciate fall blooming wildflowers and the many species of butterflies that they attract.
- Get directions to Okaloacoochee Slough Wildlife Management Area. Three access points along CR 832 have parking.
- For hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines, see the regulations summary brochure.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochure.
- Port-o-lets are available in the primitive camping area on Wild Cow Grade. One port-o-let is handicap-accessible.
- The Florida Forest Service requires an entrance or recreation use fee in designated areas. Hunters are exempt from paying these fees during scheduled hunts and scouting days. For information on general recreation and fees, contact the Florida Forest Service at (863) 612-0776. To hunt or fish you must also possess the appropriate license and permit. Find more information at the Florida Forest Service’s web page for Okaloacoochee Slough.
- During scheduled hunt days, all WMA visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Okaloacoochee Slough Hunting Seasons
Archery: Aug 7-13, 14-22
Muzzleloading Gun: Sep 4-6, 11-13
Family Hunt: Sep 18-19
General Gun: Sep 25 – Oct 3
Small Game: Oct 9 - Feb 6
Turkey: Mar 5-13
Youth Turkey: Feb 26-27
Non-Native Reptiles: Year-round (firearms may be used only during open hunting seasons)
Migratory Birds: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulations summary brochure.