Lake Wales Ridge - Planning Your Visit
The most accessible areas of this WEA are the Lake Placid Scrub tract, the Carter Creek tract and the Royce Unit. All three have parking areas and trails. Hunting is permitted on the Royce Unit only. The most comfortable time to visit is during the winter. To see rare plants blooming, visit in late spring or early fall. However, some rare plants do flower during summer.
- Get directions to Lake Wales Ridge Wildlife and Environmental Area’s Lake Placid Scrub Tract, Royce Unit and Carter Creek Tract.
- See the Royce Unit regulations summary brochure for hours of operation, public access and vehicle use guidelines specific to this unit.
- Download trail maps for Lake Placid Scrub Tract and the Royce Unit.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs on Royce are found in the Royce Unit regulations summary brochure.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- On the Royce Unit, horseback riding is prohibited during periods open to hunting. Special-Use Permits are needed for horseback riding on Carter Creek and Lake Placid Scrub.
- No Daily-Use Permit is required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
- During scheduled hunt days, all visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Lake Wales Ridge - Royce Unit Hunting Seasons
Archery: Sep 24-26, Oct 15-17
General Gun: Nov 19-21
Small Game: Dec 10-12, 24-26, Jan 14-17, Feb 3-6
Turkey: Mar 19-21, Apr 1-3
Youth Turkey: Mar 12-13
Wild Hog-Still: May 7-8, 14-15
Migratory Birds: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the Royce Unit regulations summary brochure.