L. Kirk Edwards - Planning Your Visit
Visits are most pleasant in the fall and winter when there are fewer insects and cooler temperatures. Paddlers should check water levels and condition of trails when planning a trip. Low water levels or an abundance of aquatic plants in summer months can make paddling difficult. Water gauges are located at each landing and at the portage. Levels of 1.0 or higher are best for paddling. Hunting occurs on limited days in the fall and winter. Paddlers should wear brightly colored clothing during these seasonal hunts. Avoid the first hour or so of daylight to minimize disturbance to hunters.
- Get directions to L. Kirk Edwards WEA
- See the regulations summary for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Download a paddling guide and map.
- Dogs are permitted but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary.
- No daily-use permit is required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate licenses and permits.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2018 through June 2019)
|Archery||September 27-30, October 11-14 and 25-28 (east of Chaires Cross Road only)|
|Family Hunt||November 1-4 (east of Chaires Cross Road only)|
|Archery / Muzzleloading Gun||November 22-25, November 29 through December 2, and December 13-16 (east of Chaires Cross Road only)|
|Small Game||November 10 through March 3 (West of Chaires Cross Road) November 10-21, 26-28, December 3-12, and December 17 through March 3 (east of Chaires Cross Road)|
|Spring Turkey - Youth||March 9-10 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
|Spring Turkey||March 16-18, March 29-31 and April 12-14 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
Calendar does not reflect migratory game bird hunting seasons; please check the regulations summary for specifics.