L. Kirk Edwards - Planning Your Visit
Visits are most pleasant in the fall and winter when there are cooler temperatures and fewer insects. Paddlers should check water levels and condition of trails when planning a trip. Low water levels or an abundance of aquatic plants in summer months can make paddling difficult. Water gauges are located at each landing and at the portage. Levels of 1.0 or higher are best for paddling. Hunting occurs on limited days in the fall and winter. Paddlers should wear brightly colored clothing during these seasonal hunts. Avoid the first hour or so of daylight to minimize disturbance to hunters.
- Get directions to L. Kirk Edwards WEA.
- View entrances at L. Kirk Edwards WEA.
- For hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines, see the regulations summary brochure.
- Download the Lafayette Passage Paddling Trail guide and map.
- Download the L. Kirk Edward WEA trail map.
- Dogs are permitted but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochure.
- No Daily-Use Permit is required.
- To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate licenses and permits.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- During scheduled hunt days, all visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
L. Kirk Edwards Hunting Seasons
Archery: Sep 30 – Oct 3, 14-17, Oct 28-31 (east of Chaires Cross Road only)
Family Hunt: Nov 4-7 (east of Chaires Cross Road only)
Archery/Muzzleloading Gun: Nov 25-28, Dec 2-5, Dec 16-19 (east of Chaires Cross Road only)
West of Chaires Cross Road: Nov 13 – Mar 6
East of Chaires Cross Road: Nov 13-24, Nov 29 – Dec 1, Dec 6-15, Dec 20 – Mar 6
Turkey: Mar 19-21, Apr 1-3, 15-17
Youth Turkey: Mar 12-13
Migratory Birds: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulations summary brochure.