Dinner Island - Planning Your Visit
Dinner Island Wildlife Management Area offers year round opportunities for outdoor recreation. High-quality hunts for deer, feral hog and migratory game birds are held on several weekends in the late summer and fall with a small game season following. Turkey hunts are held on four weekends between February and April. Please note that horses are not permitted during periods open to hunting, except during dove hunts.
In the late fall, winter and spring, temperatures are usually pleasant. These are the best times to hike, bike and horseback ride and to see a variety of migratory birds. Butterfly and plant enthusiasts will appreciate fall-blooming wildflowers and the many species of butterflies that they attract.
- Get directions to Dinner Island WMA.
- See the regulations summary for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Find regulations regarding hunting dogs in the regulations summary.
- Horses are allowed only on named and numbered roads; however, they are prohibited during archery, muzzleloading gun, general gun, family hunt and spring turkey seasons.
- No daily-use permit is currently required to enter this area. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
- Vault toilets are located at the Hammock Campground and at the check station.
Seasons Summary Dates (range July 2018 through June 2019)
|Archery||August 3-6, 10-13, 17-20, and August 24-27|
|Dove||September 22 and 29; October 6 and 13; November 10, 17 and 24; December 1, 22, and 29; and January 5, 12, 19 and 26 (Shooting hours are from noon to sunset) (Dove Field only)|
|Family Hunt||October 6-7 and 13-14|
|General Gun||September 15-17, 21-23 and 28-30 September 15-17, 21-23 and 28-30|
|Muzzleloading Gun||September 7-9|
|Small Game||October 15 through February 17|
|Spring Turkey||March 2-4, 9-11 and March 30 through April 1 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
|Spring Turkey - Youth||February 23-24 (Legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset)|
Calendar does not reflect migratory game bird hunting seasons; please check the regulations summary for specifics.