Box-R - Planning Your Visit
From archery season in October to spring turkey season in April, Box-R WMA offers ample opportunities for hunting deer, turkey, feral hog and small game. Hiking, biking and horseback riding are most pleasant on non-hunting days in the fall through the spring. Enjoy paddling year-round, but heat, thunderstorms and biting insects can make summer visits unpleasant. The fall and spring seasons are best for birding. New spring leaves and colorful fall foliage on the deciduous gum trees, red maples and cypress trees make for excellent nature viewing.
- Get directions to Box-R Wildlife Management Area.
- View entrances at Box-R Wildlife Management Area.
- See the regulations summary brochure for hours of operation and vehicle use guidelines.
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times.
- Regulations regarding hunting dogs can be found in the regulations summary brochure.
- Restrooms are not available at this location.
- A Daily-Use Permit is not currently required to enter this area. To hunt or fish, you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
- During scheduled hunt days, all WMA visitors are encouraged to wear a daylight fluorescent orange shirt, vest, jacket and/or hat.
Box-R Hunting Seasons
Archery: Oct 23 – Nov 7
Small Game: Nov 13-21
General Gun: Nov 25-28, Jan 13-16, 20-23, 27-30
Muzzleloading Gun: Dec 4-6
Wild Hog-Dog: 2021: Jul 9-11, Aug 13-15, Sep 10-12; 2022: May 13-15, Jun 10-12
Wild Hog-Still: Dec 11-17
Turkey: Mar 19-22, Mar 31 – Apr 3, 14-17
Migratory Bird: See migratory bird hunting dates
These season dates are not comprehensive guides to the hunting seasons on these areas and may be subject to change. For additional information about dates, times and regulations please check the regulations summary brochure.