Tiger Bay WMA - Rima Ridge Unit
The Rima Ridge Unit of Tiger Bay Wildlife Management Area (WMA) is a ridge of uplands that was named after an extensive wetland of the same name in central Volusia County, near Daytona Beach. This unit of the Tiger Bay State Forest consists of more than 11,000 acres between SR 40 and US 92 and is primarily pine flatwoods, hardwood hammocks, and hardwood swamps. Tiger Bay State Forest is a critical recharge area for the Floridian aquifer as well as a wildlife corridor for black bears and potential habitat for bald eagles. The entire forest was greatly impacted by the summer fires of 1998, and restoration is on-going.
The area provides many recreation opportunities including hunting, fishing, wildlife viewing, hiking, picnicking, paddling, boating and primitive camping. For information on camping, see FWC's regulations summary brochure. Horseback riding and bicycling are allowed on designated forest roads. Children under the age of 16 are required to wear a helmet when horseback riding on public lands. For more detailed information go to Nicole's Law. All horseback riders must have proof of current negative Coggins Test results for their horses when on state lands.
Boats powered by internal combustion engines are prohibited on Indian and Scoggin lakes. A two-mile interpretive hiking trail and a boat ramp are located at Indian Lake.
Rules Regarding Dogs
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times.
- Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action.
- No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited.
- For regulations regarding hunting dogs, see FWC's regulations summary brochure.
- For additional information, a recreation guide is available from the St. Johns River Water Management District.
- Visit Florida Forest Service's information on Tiger Bay State Forest.
- See FWC's Tiger Bay WMA web page.
- View FWC's regulations summary brochure for Tiger Bay WMA - Rima Ridge Unit for an area map, hunting seasons, permits, fees and area regulations.