Recreational Saltwater Licenses & Permits
Before purchasing recreational fishing licenses and permits, please verify all requirements based on activity.
Licenses and permits are available online at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com, in person at a license agent or tax collector's office or by calling toll-free 888-FISH-FLORIDA (888-347-4356).
Check what qualifies for Florida residency and if you are eligible for exemptions.
All anglers (including those 65 and older) who intend to fish for or harvest certain reef fish from a private vessel in Florida are required to obtain the State Reef Fish Angler designation.
Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Required to take or attempt to take saltwater fish, crabs, clams, marine plants or other saltwater organisms (other than non-living seashells and lionfish with certain gear).
A Florida fishing license is required to land saltwater species in Florida regardless of where they are caught (state or federal waters).
- Resident Annual: $17.00
- Resident Five-Year: $79.00
- Non-Resident Annual: $47.00
- Non-Resident 3-Day: $17.00
- Non-Resident 7-Day: $30.00
Valid for saltwater fishing from the shoreline or a structure affixed to shore. Not valid when fishing from a vessel, or a shoreline reached by vessel. Not valid if taking or attempting to take by swimming or diving.
- Resident Annual Saltwater Shoreline License: No-Cost
Saltwater fishing license combined with freshwater fishing and/or hunting license(s) for a reduced-cost to Florida residents.
- Annual Resident Saltwater Fishing|Freshwater Fishing Combination $32.50
- Annual Resident Saltwater Fishing|Freshwater Fishing|Hunting Combination $48.00
Includes Saltwater Fishing, Hunting and Freshwater Fishing licenses; and Wildlife Management Area, Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, Crossbow, Deer, Turkey, Florida Waterfowl, Snook and Lobster permits.
- Annual Resident Gold Sportsman's License: $100.00
- Five-Year Resident Gold Sportsman's License: $494.00
Includes Hunting, Saltwater Fishing and Freshwater Fishing licenses; and Wildlife Management Area, Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, Crossbow, Deer, Turkey, Florida Waterfowl, Snook and Lobster permits. Available to Florida residents who are active duty or retired military members at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com through an online verification process. The license is also available at Florida tax collectors' offices with proof of residency and a current military identification card.<
- Annual Resident Military Gold Sportsman's License: $20.00
Optional for youth ages 8 to 15 and valid until 17th birthday.
- Resident Youth Saltwater Fishing License: $17.00
- Resident Youth Gold Sportsman's License (available with completion of hunter education requirements): $100.00
Saltwater Fishing Permits
State Reef Fish Angler Designation
Required for anglers 16 and older fishing for certain reef fish from a private vessel in Florida. For more information, please read about the State Reef Fish Survey. No exemptions.
As of July 1, 2019, required for anglers 16 and older in addition to a saltwater fishing license when taking or attempting to take sharks from shore, including jetties, bridges and piers. No permit exemptions, even if exempt from fishing license requirements. If fishing from a licensed fishing pier, please contact the Office of Licensing and Permitting for assistance in obtaining this permit.
- Annual: $0.00. Available at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com after completing the Shore-based Shark Fishing Educational Course.
Required, in addition to a saltwater fishing license, including shoreline fishing, when taking or attempting to take snook.
Note: Prior to purchasing a snook permit, check current regulations in the area you plan to fish. All sales are final. Refunds will not be given even if the species you plan to target is closed to harvest.
- Annual: $10.00
- Five-Year (Residents Only): $50.00
Required, in addition to a saltwater fishing license, when taking or attempting to take lobster.
- Annual: $5.00
- Five-Year (Residents Only): $25.00
Required, in addition to a saltwater fishing license, when landing tarpon. No exemptions. For information, please read about Tarpon.
- Annual tag: $51.50. Available at tax collector's offices only.
Effective Jan. 1, 2020, this registration is required in addition to a saltwater fishing license for recreational harvesters age 16 or older to harvest or attempt to harvest blue crabs using blue crab traps. No permit exemptions, even if exempt from typical fishing license requirements.
Annual: $0.00. Available at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com only.
Effective Oct. 15, 2019, this registration is required in addition to a saltwater fishing license for recreational harvesters age 16 or older to harvest or attempt to harvest stone crabs using stone crab traps. No permit exemptions, even if exempt from typical fishing license requirements.
Annual: $0.00. Available at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com only.
- Goliath Grouper Harvest Permit Application Information
- Free Fishing Days
- Lifetime License Fees
- Accessibility Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities
- Shoreline license requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Recreational vessel and pier licenses
- Charter and headboat operators, guides
- Other saltwater licenses and permits
Hard Card: A hard, credit card-style license can be purchased in addition to purchasing your license or permits. The hard card costs $5 and will be shipped separately (please note your receipt and “hard card shipped separately” to verify this was included). NOTE: Each $5 hard card can hold up to seven different licenses or permits.
Costs: Prices listed on this website include an issuance fee allowed per Florida Statute. In addition to the cost of a license or permit listed above, the license or permit vendor may also charge an issuance fee of 50¢.