Deer Dog Registration
A no-cost deer dog registration is required for any person using dogs to harvest, attempt to take, trail or pursue deer on private property in Florida. Once issued, the registration number must be on or attached to the collar of any deer dog used on the property identified in the registration.
2019-2020 season applications and renewals can be submitted beginning on July 1, 2019.
What this registration allows:
Use of dogs to take, attempt to take, trail, or pursue deer on the property identified in the registration during the deer dog training season and any open deer hunting season when taking of deer with dogs is permitted and pursuant to Rule 68A-12.007, F.A.C., and the conditions of a valid deer dog registration.
What this registration does NOT allow:
Use of any dog to take attempt to take, trail or pursue deer on property not identified in the registration.
Requirements and conditions:
- The registration requirement is in addition to all existing rules regarding the use of dogs for hunting including the hunter responsibility and road hunting rules.
- Registration can be issued to the landowner or any other individual who has rights to hunt the property as designated by the landowner in a hunting lease or by written permission.
- No person using a dog for taking, attempting to take, trailing or pursuing deer shall allow dogs off the property identified in the registration, whether intentionally or negligently.
- All persons using dogs to take attempt to take, trail or pursue deer on the property identified in the registration shall be in possession of a copy of the Registration.
- All dogs used for taking, attempting to take, trailing or pursuing or deer on the property identified in the registration shall have the entire Registration Number legibly displayed on the collar of the dog or on an attachment to the collar of the dog (NOTE: to keep your same registration number each year, you must register as a Renewal).
- Failure to comply with these registration requirements would be a violation of FWC rule and may result in a citation.
Information you should have available to apply for this registration:
- Information about the property being hunted with dogs, including a property description map showing the location of the property and boundaries. All maps should be clearly outlined and labeled with the property name and permit details, including roadways leading to the property.
Note: Please review these map samples to better understand the preferred map documentation.
- Contact information for the landowner(s) is required on the application and landowner permission is required with each year’s application.
- If the applicant is not the landowner, a copy of a hunting lease or written permission from the landowner for hunting the property is also required.
When to apply:
You may apply for deer dog registration online or by mail beginning on July 1 and until 30 days prior to the final day of general gun season in the hunting zone where the property is located.
Read the guidelines below and print out a copy of the application form or apply online using the links at the bottom of the page.
Applicants registering from the prior year will receive the same registration number issued the previous year when registering as a Renewal.
How to apply for this registration:
- Click on Apply Online for Deer Dog Registration below to be directed to the login screen.
- Returning customers (who have previously applied online for an FWC deer dog registration or other specialized permit or certification) may enter their username and password, or other identifying information, to login. Those who have not previously applied for an FWC permit, click on Register to create an account.
- Once logged in, returning permit holders should click on their DD number and Renew. Those who have not previously applied for a deer dog registration should choose Apply for a New Permit/Registration.
- Enter and upload all requested information for the current season application. Previous permit holders will receive the same permit number from prior seasons when applying as a renewal and previous details will be available.
- Submit the application.
What happens next:
- Your application will be reviewed by FWC staff.
- If you provided an email address, you will receive notifications, including approval or requests for additional information. If you do not supply an email address, please return to the site periodically to determine your status.
- Once your registration is approved, you may access it through the Apply Online button below to then print the permit. If you did not provide an email, a copy of the permit will be mailed to you.
- After printing/receiving the document, read and sign the registration. Remember: A copy of this registration must be in the physical possession of any person who is on the property and using dogs to take deer and must be presented to any law enforcement officer upon request. The registration number must be on or attached to the collar of any dog used for taking deer on the registered property.
If you have questions or need assistance, please call Licensing and Permitting staff at 850-488-3641.