St Vincent Sambar Deer
A St. Vincent Island National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) Sambar Deer Permit is a type of limited entry permit that is required in order to participate in Sambar Deer primitive weapons hunts on St. Vincent Island NWR. This is a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service hunt issued by the FWC. St. Vincent Island NWR is only accessible by boat. If you have questions about the refuge's rules and regulations or would like further information on the hunt, please visit the Saint Vincent National Wildlife Refuge page. Click the "Application Worksheet" link at the bottom of the page for specific hunt dates.
- Cost: $5.00 to apply in Phase I, if successful, the permit fee is $37.50. There is no application fee in Phase II.
- Requirements: There is a non-refundable $5 application fee In Phase I.
- Issuance Method: Issued by random drawing during Phase I. Once the drawing is conducted, successful Phase I applicants must purchase their permits by the specified deadline. Permits not purchased by the deadline will be forfeited and offered on a first-come, first-served basis in Phase II. In the Phase I random drawing, applicants are selected based on their preference points. Applicants with the highest number of St. Vincent NWR Sambar Deer preference points are selected before those with less preference points.
- Exemptions: There are no exemptions; you must have a St. Vincent NWR Sambar Deer permit to participate in the hunts.
- Restrictions: You may submit one application and receive one permit in Phase I. Successful applicants must purchase their permit by the deadline, or it will be forfeited and sold in Phase II.
- Group Applications: Group applications are only accepted in Phase I. A group application assures that all members of the group (5 maximum) go through the random drawing as one application. If successful, all members of the group receive an opportunity to purchase a permit, even if there is only one permit left. Each group member must submit a St. Vincent NWR Sambar Deer application and join the group during the Phase I application period. You cannot add members to a group application after the Phase I application period ends.
- Preference Points: If you apply during Phase I and are unsuccessful, you will be awarded one St. Vincent NWR Sambar Deer preference point for next year (even if you get issued a permit in Phase II). Preference points are cumulative and you will receive one additional St. Vincent NWR Sambar Deer preference point each year you apply in Phase I and are unsuccessful. If you apply during Phase I next year, and are drawn for a permit, your preference points will be reset to zero, even if you fail to purchase your permit by the deadline. No preference points are awarded if you fail to apply in Phase I. If you do not apply during Phase I for two consecutive years, your preference points will be reset to zero.
- Transferability: These permits are NOT transferable.
- Guest Permits: Guest permits are NOT available for this permit type.
- Drawing Results: Drawing results are typically posted within three business days of the application period closing. If you are successful in the Phase I drawing, you must purchase your permit by the specified deadline.
- Reprints: You can reprint lost or destroyed non-transferable St. Vincent NWR Sambar Deer permits online for $2.00 plus handling fees or at a license agent or tax collector office for about $2.50. Receipts, temporary license numbers, and printed copies of Internet pages may not be used in lieu of a permit.
- How to Apply: You can apply online (sign on and choose “Apply for Limited Entry/Quota Permit”) or complete the Application Worksheet (click "Application Worksheet" at bottom of page) and present it to any license agent or tax collector office. Children and residents who do not hold a Florida drivers license or Florida ID must apply as non-residents to use the online system.
- How to Get Your Permit: If successful in the Phase I random drawing, you will need to purchase your permit online, at a license agent, or tax collector office. Permits issued in Phase I will be available in the system for printing online, by a license agent, or tax collector until the permit purchasing deadline. Permits not purchased by the deadline (see Application Dates & Deadlines below) will be forfeited and issued in Phase II. In Phase II (First-Come, First-Served Leftovers) you are immediately awarded your permit, and the license agent or tax collector will immediately print your permit. If applying online in Phase II, you can immediately print or save your permit. The permit will remain available online until the last day of your hunt. If you choose to pay for your permit online, be sure you have access to a printer and to disable your browser’s pop-up blocker, so that you can print or save your permit directly from the website. If you are successful in a drawing and you have provided a valid, non-blocked, email address, your permit will be emailed to you as well as posted to your record online.
Application Dates and Worksheet
- Application Dates & Deadlines
- St. Vincent Island NWR Sambar Deer Application Worksheet and Choices
- You can also Apply Online