Skip to main content

Blue Crab Tag and Endorsement Transfers

Transfer Period:  The transfer period is opens May 1 and continues until the end of the following February.

Who is eligible? For a Standard transfer there are no special eligibility requirements.  In the event of death or disability of the tag holder, the endorsement and the tags may be transferred to an immediate family member within 12 months of the date of death or disability.

  • Immediate family is defined as mother, father, sister, brother, spouse, son, daughter, step-father, step-mother, step-son, step-daughter, half-sister, half-brother, son-in-law or daughter-in-law of the endorsement holder.

Trap Tag Reduction: None

Transfer Fees: None

Surcharge Fees: None

Seller Requirements: The seller must have current Saltwater Products License (SPL), Restricted Species endorsement (RS) and Blue Crab Endorsement (VHI, VS) current for the fiscal year of the transfer.  The seller must have paid all outstanding fees owed to the FWC.  There must be no holds on the seller’s account, and they must surrender their SPL card with the Blue Crab endorsement to the FWC at the time of transfer.

Buyer Requirements: The buyer must have an SPL and RS valid through the fiscal year of the transfer, and have paid all outstanding fees owed to the FWC.  There must be no holds on the buyer’s account.  Buyer will be responsible for purchasing the VH or VS endorsement at the time of transfer.  A blue crab endorsement buyer who has never held a blue crab endorsement must complete a 14-day apprenticeship program, working with a blue crab endorsement holder fishing for blue crab, and submit a Blue Crab Effort Management Endorsement Apprenticeship Form.

  • Buyer may submit applications for the SPL and the RS with the transfer application.

If your Commercial SPL has been issued in the name of a business or corporation, your trap certificates/tags must be designated to an individual.

Required Documents:  A transfer application (postmarked within 72 hours of being notarized), check or money order for fees and the seller's current SPL with Blue Crab endorsement are required.  Proof of relationship (birth certificates and/or marriage licenses), copy of death certificate or proof of disability required for any immediate family transfers or due to death or disability.

What Transfers: The endorsement and trap tags.

Tag Transfers

Upon the transfer of a Blue Crab endorsement, the total allotment of tags will be transferred to the buyer.

A complete copy of the applicable rules can be found in Chapter 379 Florida Statutes and Chapters 68B and 68E Florida Administrative Code.


Transfer Forms