- Olive green or brownish back and silver sides
- Dark stripe from behind the eye to front of dorsal fin
- Proportionately larger eye and deeper body than greater amberjack
- Anal fin is about 2/3 the length of the second dorsal fin 21-24 gill rakers on each gill arch
- Juveniles have split or wavy bars on sides
Similar Species: Other jack species
Size: Usually less than 20 inches (10 pounds)
Found nearshore and offshore. Typically found in deeper waters than other Seriola (commonly 180 - 410 feet deep).
Smallest of the amberjacks. Believed to spawn offshore. Adults eat fish and squid.