- Back bluish-green to greenish-gold, belly silver or yellowish
- Prominent black spot on gill cover
- Black spot at the base of each pectoral fin
- Second dorsal fin and anal fin almost identical in size
- No scales on throat
- Body deep, front of head steep
Similar Species: Blue runner, C. crysos (lack black spot at base of pectoral fins); other jack species.
Size: Up to 20 pounds and common at 3 to 5 pounds
Common both inshore and in open waters.
Tolerate a wide range of salinities. Schools corner a pod of baitfish at the surface. Feed mainly on small fishes. Peak spawning occurs offshore March through September.