- Mottled dark reddish-brown or brownish-gray on back, fading to a lighter belly
- Uniformly colored; lacks distinctive markings
- Second dorsal fin spine very high (higher than the third spine)
- Caudal fin (tail) is squared-off
- Juveniles with yellowish caudal fin and dark spot on caudal peduncle
Similar Species: Goliath grouper, E. itajara (dorsal spines all at same height)
Size: Up to 90 inches (580 pounds)
Rocky bottoms in water over 200 feet deep. Juveniles found inshore.
Feeds on fishes and crustaceans.