Python Patrol is a no-cost training program that aims to create a network of trained individuals throughout south Florida who know how to identify Burmese pythons, report sightings, and in some cases, capture and humanely kill the snakes. Two types of training workshops - Python Patrol and Reptile Identification - are offered throughout south and southwest Florida.
Python Patrol Training
- Includes information on Burmese pythons in Florida, rules and regulations, permits, python detection, species identification and data reporting.
- Also includes safe capture techniques and participants receive hands-on experience catching wild caught Burmese pythons.
- Limited to 20-25 people and program duration is 2-3 hours.
Reptile Identification Training
- Includes information on Burmese pythons in Florida, rules and regulations, python detection, species identification and data reporting.
- No hands-on component.
- No limit on the number of participants and program duration is 1.5 - 2 hours.
All participants are encouraged to take the free online Nonnative Reptile Removal (NRR) training, which is available online at our eLearning site.
Upcoming Python Patrol Workshops
All events listed below are open to the public but participants need to register online to attend. Please note- space is limited so participants are encouraged to register early. The FWC will consider requests for workshops from interested groups of 12 or more people. All events are free of charge, although there may be parking or access fees at certain locations. Any required fees will be detailed on the registration page for each training.
Want to be notified about new trainings? Follow FWC on Twitter or Instagram- all Python Patrol trainings are announced through these social media platforms.
No Python Patrol Training Workshops are currently scheduled.