Register to Become a Scallop-Sitter
To increase depleted scallop populations in some bays and reintroduce scallops in other suitable areas from which scallops have disappeared. This work is funded by a NRDA grant for St. Joseph Bay, St. Andrew Bay, and St. George Sound only.
If you want to view a video providing an overview of bay scallop biology, the fishery, and our restoration program, including a demonstration on how to care for your scallops, view our Scallop Restoration Webinar video.
To become a scallop-sitter with the FWC, you need to meet the following requirements.
- Have no FWC violations on your record
- Live near St. Andrew Bay, St. Joseph Bay, or St. George Sound from June – January
- Have access to the bay: via private dock, boat, or kayak
- Be willing and able to care for and clean scallops once a month from June – January
- Be able to pickup scallops and supplies between 10 am and 1 pm on the pickup dates listed below:
Register to become a Scallop Sitter via the UF pace pickup date links above
- If you are having trouble registering please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have signed up, you will be sent links to
- Complete the pre-survey
- View the virtual training video
Attend the pickup event to get your scallops, cage and supplies
- You will not be permitted to pickup scallops unless you have registered online, completed the pre-survey, and watched the training video