Manatee Genetics Research Intern
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's (FWC) Manatee Genetics Project is looking for a detail-oriented intern to work in St. Petersburg, Florida in our ongoing manatee genetic tracking program to assist FWRI scientists in their research on manatee vital rates and movement.
The intern's primary responsibilities will involve assisting staff members in laboratory genetic tasks such as tissue preparation, DNA extraction, PCR, and microsatellite DNA assays. Other responsibilities may include data entry and special projects. Opportunities for self-learning (basic genetic theory and population demographics) and professional development can be tailored on a case-by-case basis.
- Basic knowledge of genetic lab methods (pipetting, solutions handling, general safety awareness), as demonstrated by coursework or training is desired.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a group, and to maintain focus while performing a series of time-dependent protocol steps is required.
Project-specific training will be provided. Internships require a minimum two-month commitment.
Starting and ending dates are flexible; hours are also somewhat flexible, but tasks require on-site presence for two consecutive days within the 5-day work week.
If you are interested in applying for an internship with the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute, the following information is required:
- A cover letter describing the internship you are applying for; area(s) of academic/research interest; and the dates, days, and hours of availability.
- A résumé (or curriculum vitae) describing your relevant training and experience.
- Current academic transcripts.
- Names and contact information for three references
Please submit application items as an e-mail attachment to:
If electronic submission is not possible, hard copies can be mailed to:
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
100 Eighth Avenue SE
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-5020
This intern position is open until filled.
All positions are unpaid. Housing and transportation are NOT provided.