Gun & Light
Destructive Wildlife - Gun and Light at Night Permit
The Gun and Light at Night Permit authorizes individuals to take depredating wildlife (beaver, bobcat, fox, opossum, rabbit, raccoon, otter, skunk or nutria) at night with a gun and light on land that they own or possess the written permission of the landowner. Under special restrictions, authorizes harassment (scaring) deer causing damage to crops with a gun and light at night.
The permit is not required to take wild hog, coyote, armadillo, black or Norway rat, and house mouse, with a gun and light during non-daylight hours.
What this permit allows:
- The permit holder and assistants to use a gun and light at night to take (kill) certain wildlife that are causing destruction of crops and/or livestock.
- The landowner - or the permit holder with written permission of the landowner - to take certain wildlife with a gun and light at night on their land or permitted property.
- To take certain wildlife that are causing damage only in the immediate area where the damage to crops and/or livestock is taking place.
- The taking (killing) of the selected wildlife causing damage: beaver, bobcat, fox, possum, rabbit, raccoon, otter, skunk or nutria.
- Under special restrictions, deer causing damage to crops can be harassed (scared) with a gun and light at night under this permit when authorized.
- Both the permit and written permission of the landowner, if applicable, must accompany each person while using a gun and light at night under the terms of the permit.
- In many cases the method of taking the wildlife causing damage under this permit is limited to using a rimfire rifle.
- Before engaging in the permitted activities you must call 1-888-404-3922 to inform FWC of the date and time of the planned permitted activity.
What this permit does NOT allow:
- The discharge of firearms in areas not allowed by state law or court injunctions/orders.
- The possession of firearms by individuals not allowed by state law or court injunctions/orders.
- Anyone without a valid hunting license to engage in the permitted activities unless exempt from license requirements.
- A fee to be charged to anyone to participate in the permitted activities.
- The sale of any wildlife or parts of wildlife taken under this permit.
- The taking of wildlife:
- not listed on the permit,
- not on the property listed on the permit, or
- away from the immediate area where the damage to crops and/or livestock is taking place.
- The permit holder to be under the age of 18.
Information you must have available to apply for this permit:
- Name, date of birth and driver's license or state identification number of the permit holder.
- Address and contact telephone number of the permit holder and landowner.
- The location of the property, including the Parcel ID. You will find the Parcel ID on your property tax bill; or it is available from your County Property Appraiser's Office.
- If approved, the permit holder must print the permits. Permits will not be mailed by FWC.
- E-mail address, if the applicant would like to receive notification regarding your application if permit is not approved and available to print after the application process has been completed.
- A printer and Adobe Reader.
How to apply for this permit:
- Click on the "Apply for Gun & Light Permit" button below. This will take you to a login screen.
- If you have previously applied online for an FWC special permit (AMP, SUV, MI, Antlerless Deer, Deer Dog Permit, Persons with Disabilities Crossbow Permit, Disabled Resident Hunting/Fishing License, or currently hold a Gun and Light at Night Permit), enter your username and password, or other identifying information.
- If you have not applied online for an FWC special permit before, click on "Register Here" and enter the requested information to create your user account and continue.
- Complete the form and choose “Save and Continue” at the bottom to proceed.
- Click the “Apply for New Permit” link.
- Complete each page providing the necessary information.
- Once the application is submitted it will be automatically approved and you will be able to print the permit document, via the “View Document” button.
- If you supplied an e-mail address, you will receive notification regarding your permit application if applicable.
- Read and sign the permit document.