Skip to main content

Who needs a permit?

All commercial eel fisherman that commercially harvest American eel (Anguilla rostrata) from freshwaters of the State of Florida are required to have an American Eel Permit, in addition to possessing a commercial fishing license. 

Special provisions also apply if using horseshoe crabs as bait.  Chapter 68B-46, F.A.C. allows harvest of horseshoe crab only by hand and gig and commercial freshwater eel fishermen to harvest and possess up to 100 horseshoe crabs per day while in or on the salt waters of the state, and requires that all persons who harvest, possess, or sell horseshoe crabs possess a saltwater products license.

How to get the permit:

To obtain a no-cost American Eel Permit, please complete the application below and mail it to the address noted on the application.

Application for: American Eel (Anguilla rostrata) Commercial Harvest Permit

Send the completed request to:
Trevor Knight
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Division of Freshwater Fisheries Management
1239 SW 10th St.
Ocala, FL 34471
Phone: 352-732-1225

Fax: 352-732-1391


Trip Ticket Resources: