Captive Wildlife Announcements
The Captive Wildlife Office is soliciting input on captive wildlife regulations in Florida regarding permits to operate a native wildlife rehabilitation facility and the current regulations governing native wildlife rehabilitation. The current rule language regarding native wildlife rehabilitation is in Rule 68A-9.006, F.A.C.
Updated draft rule language is now available for review. Public meetings to discuss this rule draft are listed below. If you cannot attend one of the meetings but would still like to submit comments, please use the public comment form to provide input, comments, or feedback regarding the draft rehabilitation rule.
MEETING DATES AND LOCATIONS
6:00 PM-8:00 PM
Wednesday, October 11, 2023 (6 PM - 8PM)
Hyatt House Tampa Airport / Westshore
5308 Avion Park Drive
Tampa, FL 33607
Thursday, October 12, 2023 (6 PM - 8PM)
Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
1714 SW 34th Street
Gainesville, FL 32607
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Detected in Florida
(FWC) has confirmed that a road-killed 4.5 year-old female white-tailed deer in Holmes County sampled during routine surveillance activities has tested positive for chronic wasting disease (CWD). It is the first known case of CWD in Florida. CWD is a contagious disease of the brain and central nervous system that is always fatal to deer.
The FWC and its agency partners take CWD very seriously and have implemented a comprehensive response plan with the goal of containing the disease within the area it was detected. As part of the plan, the FWC will collect samples from specific established zones to further assess the spread of the disease. The results from this initial sampling effort will inform resource managers so they can react with appropriate management strategies.
Captive Wildlife Permit Applications Moving Online
As of March 28, 2023, all Captive Wildlife applications have moved to an online application system (Go Outdoors Florida). Active permits will remain valid until their expiration date.
To apply for a permit, new and renewal applicants must:
- Navigate to Go Outdoors Florida.
- Click the Captive Wildlife tile and "Visit Site".
- Create a new customer account OR log in to your existing account if you have used the Go Outdoors Florida system previously (business customers, please see Business Applicant FAQs regarding business profiles).
- Once logged in, click “Apply for a Permit” to access the applications.
- Add the appropriate application to your shopping cart by clicking "Apply for Permit". Click on your shopping cart and click Checkout.
- After clicking Checkout, you will be prompted to complete the application. Complete all required fields and click Submit.
- You will be redirected to your Home page and receive an email confirmation from the system verifying that your application has been received by the FWC Captive Wildlife Office for processing. You will not be charged for the application; you will be prompted to provide payment for your permit upon application approval and permit issuance.
For more detailed assistance with the Go Outdoors Florida system (including account creation, submitting an application, and checking the status of your application), please contact Go Outdoors Florida Customer Help at (855) 779-5907 or email@example.com.
For additional information, please view the Online Application FAQs.