Special Use Vehicle (SUV) Permit
The Special Use Vehicle (SUV) permit allows persons who are permanently physically disabled to have enhanced access to selected wildlife management areas (WMAs). All SUV permits expire annually on June 30. Approved permits must be displayed with an international handicapped symbol hanger.
What this permit allows:
- The named permit holder and one assistant riding in the same vehicle with the permit holder to operate a vehicle in some WMAs on roads not open to the public. The permit holder must follow the permit conditions and the restrictions in the Special Use Vehicle Summary by Region.
- The permitted vehicle to be operated only on established named or numbered roads, service roads, firebreaks or well defined roads except as provided by the Special Use Vehicle (SUV) WMA Summary.
- Not all WMAs allow SUV-permitted vehicle access. You must read the Special Use Vehicle WMA Summary and Maps to determine which WMAs allow special use access and for area restrictions. The Summary is updated annually in July.
What this permit does NOT allow:
- Access to WMAs when they are closed due to weather or other emergency closures.
- Hunting or fishing without the required licenses and permits.
- Access to areas designated or posted as closed due to safety, emergency or environmental purposes (e.g. bombing ranges, or roads closed due to flooding, washouts, or fire).
- Operation of a vehicle in any wetland or in any manner that destroys vegetation (driving on roads or firebreaks planted as a food plot or driving over trees).
- More than one assistant or person in or on the vehicle with the permit holder.
- Vehicles of a type not authorized by WMA regulations or the SUV WMA Summary.
- Parking in a manner that obstructs roads, gates or fire lanes.
Requirements and conditions:
- A signed statement by a licensed physician, on the FWC-provided Physician Certification Form (provided as part of this application process) verifying that the applicant is permanently disabled and that the qualifying disability renders normal walking impossible -OR- a permanent Disabled Persons Parking Identification Permit with a copy of the current Driver's License. Applicants with temporary disabilities are not eligible for SUV permits.
- The permit holder must access, read and follow the area-specific time periods of use and stipulations found in the SUV WMA Summary and Maps for each WMA accessed using the permit. Summaries are updated each summer.
- The permit must be in the physical possession of the permit holder when engaged in the permitted activity, and must be presented to any law enforcement officer, FWC personnel, Forest Service personnel or other law enforcement personnel upon request.
- The international handicapped symbol hanger provided for printing with this permit must be displayed on the vehicle transporting the permit holder.
- This permit is valid from approval until June 30.
Renewing the permit:
- Permit holders must reapply every year after July 1 by resubmitting an application online. A physician certification does not need to be resubmitted each year unless the permit holder has not renewed the permit for three years or longer.
Information you must have available to apply for this permit:
- Contact and identification information, including a day-time telephone number where you can be reached during normal business hours.
- A valid email address to provide in order to receive notification of application approval or denial. If an e-mail address is not provided, the applicant may return to the application site periodically to determine if the permit was approved.
- Adobe Reader and a printer.
How to apply for this permit:
- Click on the "Apply for a Special Use Vehicle (SUV) Permit" button below.
- If you have previously applied online for an FWC special permit or certification (AMP, MI, Antlerless Deer, or Deer Dog), enter your username and password, or other identifying information. If you have not applied online for an FWC special permit before, click on "Register Here" and enter the requested information to create an account and continue.
- Click the “Apply for New Permit” link.
- Complete the form and choose “Save and Continue” to proceed.
- Print the required Physician Certification Form (and a Cover Sheet if planning to return the completed form by fax or mail).
- Have your doctor complete and sign the Physician Certification Form.
- Scan and upload the completed Physician Certification Form within your account, or fax/mail it with the provided cover sheet.
- Your completed application will be reviewed by FWC staff, who will send an email message with notification of approval or denial of the application. If you do not supply an email, you will need to check your status in your account.
- Once approved, login at the link below to access the approved permit.
- Print, read and sign the permit.