There are two steps in the Ridge Rangers application process. The first is to enter your information in the online form (all items marked with an asterisk (*) are required). You will receive an additional form in the mail after your online form is received. The second step is to sign the form you receive in the mail before or on your first workday.
To apply to the Ridge Rangers, please read both the Ridge Ranger Volunteer Agreement and the Volunteer Agreements Standards tabs below, and then fill out the requested information in the indicated spaces. When complete, please click on the “Submit” button at the bottom to enter your information.
- I offer and agree to volunteer my services to assist the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) with the understanding that I am not an employee and not subject to any provision of law related to state employment except as provided in 110.504, Florida Statutes.
- I also understand while performing volunteer activities I will be covered by state liability protection under 768.28, Florida Statutes.
- I hereby give my permission for the FWC to obtain information relating to my criminal history record should my responsibility include working with children.
- I also understand that as long as I remain a volunteer, the criminal history records check may be repeated at any time.
- I am at least 18 years old (or if I am younger than 18 my parent will sign the form that will be mailed to me).
- If I have limitations that may prevent me from performing volunteer work, these limitations will be discussed with the volunteer team leader for work assignments to avoid personal injury.
- If I am injured while performing volunteer work, I will contact my team leader or the FWC supervisor for treatment information.
- I give permission to the FWC to use any photographs of me for promotional purposes of the FWC's volunteer program.
As a volunteer for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), I agree to abide by all applicable FWC rules, policies, and standards governing volunteers. I agree to:
- Maintain loyalty to the FWC mission and policies when I am in communications with the public and employees, except where constructive criticism through proper FWC channels is encouraged.
- Maintain a courteous but firm, supportive attitude when discussing or explaining FWC policies to the public.
- Reflect the image of a qualified and effective volunteer working within a well-defined system to fulfill volunteer duties and responsibilities for the FWC.
- Refrain from using language unbecoming of a representative of the FWC and refrain from negative criticism or unfounded statements about fellow volunteers or the FWC.
- Conduct myself in such a manner that my behavior does not reflect an antagonistic attitude toward management, supervisors, employees, fellow volunteers, or the public.
- Refrain from using my position to secure special privileges, benefits, or exemptions for myself or others.
- Refrain from soliciting or accepting anything of value (gifts, loans, rewards, favors, etc.) that may influence me in carrying out my responsibilities as a volunteer.
- Only participate in tasks for which I have been approved.
- Report job-related injuries immediately to supervisory staff.
- Report all volunteer hours worked and any other information required by my supervisor, and, if appropriate, notify my supervisor of intent to discontinue my volunteer services.
- Have a background screening conducted if working with or around youth.
- Request clarification of any rules and policies that I do not understand.
As a volunteer for the FWC:
- I understand that I am not considered an employee of the FWC and I am not entitled to rights under the Career Service System.
- I understand that I am covered in the event of a work-related injury under state liability protection in accordance with Workers’ Compensation benefits provided in Chapter 440, Florida Statutes. Disability, life insurance, and temporary wage benefits are not included.
- I understand that, as appropriate and with supervisory approval, I am permitted the use of state equipment, lab/office space, and vehicles and vessels which are needed to effectively complete assigned volunteer duties.