Lionfish Tournament and Event Calendar
Join the Lionfish Control Team
Get involved with lionfish removal and awareness efforts by participating in any of our statewide events and tournaments, host a "Become the Predator" workshop, feature educational brochures in your shop, or host a "Lionfish: Classroom Invasion" dissection and presentation.
Contact Lionfish@MyFWC.com for more information and to schedule.
The 2018 Lionfish Summit was held Oct. 2-4 in Cocoa Beach. The event featured presentations and discussion by marine resource managers, dive professionals, researchers and ocean conservationists to discuss three main themes in regards to lionfish: Policy and Regulation, Control Efforts/Research and Monitoring, and Education and Outreach. Summary report coming soon! View the Summit Agenda.
Lionfish Removal and Awareness Day:
First Saturday after Mother's Day each year.
- Festival: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., May 18-19, AJ's and HarborWalk Village, Destin.
- Family-friendly activities; art, diving, and marine conservation booths; live music; fillet demos; lionfish tastings.
- Emerald Coast Open Lionfish Tournament
- Pre-tournament: Feb. 1 - May 15
- Regular tournament: May 16-19
- Kick-off: 6-9 p.m. Feb. 1, 1835 Porch Bar, Destin
- Hosted by FWC and the Emerald Coast Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Learn more about the festival or register for the Emerald Coast Open tournament.
Become a Reef Ranger:
Sign up for free today and pledge to remove and report lionfish from any of Florida's natural or artificial reefs.
Host a "Become the Predator" Workshop
- Workshop includes an educational presentation about the lionfish invasion, statewide programs and control efforts, harvesting gear and techniques, safe handling and a fillet demonstration.
- Available upon request. Contact Lionfish@MyFWC.com and include name of organization, location and estimated number of attendees.
- Attention dive shops and charters: Interested in hosting a workshop and lionfish excursion? FWC educates and trains divers to confidently and safely harvest lionfish.
- Available upon request. Contact Lionfish@MyFWC.com.
Events where you can learn about lionfish
- Feb. 2: Brews by the Bay, Panacea
- Feb. 19: Northwest Florida Lionfish Workshop, Fort Walton Beach
- Apr. 20: Free Our Seas and Beyond Environmental Art Festival, Hollywood Beach
- Apr. 27-28: Blue Wild Expo, Fort Lauderdale
- May 18-19: Lionfish Removal and Awareness Festival, Destin
- Jun. 8: World Ocean's Day, Orlando
Lionfish Tournament Assistance
FWC encourages removal efforts by supporting lionfish-specific and multi-species spearfishing tournaments.
From 2014-2018, Florida has held over 140 tournaments and removed over 103,800 lionfish.
Learn more about the FWC tournament assistance requirements and apply for 2019 lionfish tournament assistance funds.
2019 Lionfish Tournament Calendar
Emerald Coast Open Pre Tournament
2018 Lionfish Tournament Results
|Date||Location||Name||Number of Lionfish Harvested||Largest||Smallest||Number of Participants|
REEF Winter Lionfish Derby
4Earth Lionfish Derby
|7||11.5 in.||8.5 in.||24|
1st Annual Key Biscayne Yacht Club Lionfish Derby
|05/19||Panama City Beach||1490||17 1/8 in.||0.02 in.||45|
|06/01||Fort Pierce||288||15 5/8 in.||5 7/8 in.||22|
REEF Miami Lionfish Derby
|06/16||Miami||67||26.85 oz||0.2 oz||63|
REEF Sarasota Lionfish Derby
REEF Fort Lauderdale Lionfish Derby
REEF Palm Beach County Lionfish Derby
REEF Jacksonville Lionfish Derby
Total derbies: 23
Total number of lionfish removed: 20,522
*Note: sizes in mm unless otherwise noted