Lionfish Challenge 2022
- To encourage and reward recreational and commercial divers to remove lionfish from Florida waters.
- May 20, 2022 to Sept. 6, 2022
- Statewide program
- Recreational and commercial participant categories
- Checkpoints located statewide for harvest submission
- Tiered prize system to encourage continued harvest
How to Register
- All participants required to register at FWCReefRangers.com
- Participants may only qualify for one category (recreational or commercial).
- Participants with an active Saltwater Products License and commercial lionfish sales within the last year must register for the commercial category.
How to Submit Your Catch
Instructions for Commercial Divers:
- After harvesting your lionfish, sell them to a licensed wholesale dealer and get a copy of your trip ticket verifying the commercial sale.
- After obtaining your trip ticket, complete a Commercial Trip Ticket Submission here
- Trip ticket submission is completed through an online form on our Reef Rangers website (similar to the form you filled out when registering for the Challenge)
Instructions for Recreational Divers:
- After harvesting your lionfish, remove tails leaving a bit of meat attached and place in a plastic sandwich bag(s)
- Label bag(s) with harvester name, phone number, date of harvest and number of tails
- Bring tails and a tail verification form to a local Checkpoint for verification of harvest
- The Checkpoint will count your tails, sign your verification form, and return the form to you.
- Checkpoints will keep the tails for our records.
- Checkpoint locations and verification forms can be found on our website: FWCReefRangers.com
- After verifying your tails at a Checkpoint, you may complete a Recreational Tail Submission here.
- Tail submission is completed through an online form on our website (similar to the form you filled out when registering for the Challenge).
Prizes will be awarded in a tiered fashion- the more lionfish you submit, the more prizes you receive! The requirements for each tier are as follows (Note- more information on prizes will be announced later)
- Tier 1- Harvest 25 lionfish (recreational category) or 25 lbs of lionfish (commercial category)
- Tier 2- Harvest 100 lionfish (recreational category) or 250 lbs of lionfish (commercial category)
- Tier 3- Harvest 300 lionfish (recreational category) or 500 lbs of lionfish (commercial category)
- Tier 4- Harvest 600 lionfish (recreational category) or 1000 lbs of lionfish (commercial category)
Those who reach Tier 1 will be awarded a commemorative 2022 Lionfish Challenge Coin. This coin allows the harvester to retain 1 extra spiny lobster each day during the 2022 Sport Season (July 27th and 28th, 2022)
- Harvester must have 2022 commemorative coin in possession to harvest and possess extra spiny lobster.
- Only 1 coin may be used per harvester.
- Coins from previous years are not eligible for the 2022 Sport Season.
- Full rule can be found here
Harvesters who reach Tier 1 before the raffle drawing date are automatically entered into the raffles
- Harvesters can only win one raffle prize during the 2022 Lionfish Challenge.
- Raffle prizes will be announced as items are donated
- Raffle drawing dates:
- June 3rd- 2 winners
- July 1st – 4 winners
- August 12th – 4 winners
- September 2nd – 2 winners