Skip to main content

Injured and Orphaned Wildlife

Barrred Owl

Generally, if you find a baby animal it is best to leave it alone. Rarely are animals actually orphaned; the parent may be searching for food or observing its young from a distance. Do not pick up baby animals or remove them from their natural environment. Instead, report wildlife you think may be injured or orphaned to the nearest FWC Regional Office.

When encountering injured wildlife, please contact the appropriate FWC-licensed wildlife rehabilitator in your area. A list of wildlife rehabilitators by county can be accessed here: Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitators.

You can also contact the appropriate FWC Regional Office for local wildlife rehabilitator contact information.

If the animal is a domestic or feral animal, such as a dog, cat or horse, please contact the nearest Humane Society, Animal Services Office or Animal Control Agency.

Wildlife Alert Hotline

Contact the FWC's Wildlife Alert Hotline at 1-888-404-3922 to speak directly to an FWC representative.

Learn More