Lionfish Challenge 2018 Update – July 18
Lionfish Challenge Promotional Video (YouTube): https://youtu.be/Gmd25BbpLVw
Photos (Flickr): https://flic.kr/s/aHsmkZ5fhR
As of this week:
- 615 people have registered.
- 109 people have submitted lionfish (93 recreational, 16 commercial).
- 11,614 lionfish removed.
- 48 tagged-lionfish removed (six in the Atlantic and 42 in the Gulf).
- 53 checkpoints for recreational participant submissions.
A message to our harvesters
Our harvesters are doing great, but there are still tagged lionfish to be found on both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. While the exact reef locations are secret, here’s a hint: Find your next lionfish off the county seat of Jacksonville or its saintly neighbor to the south.
- July 8, Volusia County: Scott Housel of Debary, GoPro Hero5 Camera
Upcoming Raffle Drawings
- July 25 and Aug. 8
- All qualified participants (submission of 25 lionfish or 25 pounds for commercial) will be entered into drawing. Prizes include 4-foot JBL pole spear from Florida Underwater Sports, Dive Rite surface marker tube, Lionator pole spear prize pack, Enriched Air Diver Class from Narked Scuba, Color-Dive Lenses from Customatic Optics and YETI tumblers.
The Lionfish Challenge rewards lionfish harvesters with prizes for their lionfish removals, tagged or not. The tagged lionfish component is new this year and includes cash prizes up to $5,000. Lionfish were tagged at 50 public artificial reefs across the state between the depths of 80-120 feet.
Sign up and learn more today by visiting MyFWC.com/Lionfish.
Lobster for Lionfish: There’s still time to submit your qualifying 25 lionfish to receive a commemorative coin that allows you to take one extra spiny lobster per day during the two-day mini-season, July 25-26. Please submit your tails no later than July 23.
Support Florida lionfish control programs by purchasing our new Rep Your Water lionfish hats at Fish & Wildlife Foundation of Florida.
Download Lionfish Challenge Promotional Video (Vimeo): https://bit.ly/2He4Wjq