The Fostering Success program provides young adults aged 18-24 who have former experience in the foster care system, an opportunity to gain professional life skills and employment readiness training in a year-long, part-time, paid OPS position within a state agency. The program offers professional and personal development training, outside workshops, career specific certifications, shadow and networking opportunities, team-building events, and ultimately, the work experience to enable them to build the fundamental abilities to achieve economic self-sufficiency and professional success. Fostering Success participants gain skills that will help them succeed in any professional work environment.
Fostering Success is a mentor-ship program for youth. The program has been in existence with the Department of Agriculture since 2014, and in an ongoing partnership with the Department of Children and Families. In 2017, the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission implemented the program with a legislative appropriation of $100,000. The program has expanded into other agencies on a voluntary basis. Each intern is hired in a 20 hours/week, entry-level OPS position, making $10 per hour.
We are currently looking for FWC employers who are willing to serve as supervisors and mentors through the Fostering Success Internship Program!
By joining our program you are able to:
1. Make your workload manageable by allowing the program to par you with an intern at no cost to your department.
2. Enhance your leadership and managerial skills and receive around the clock support.
3. Be a mentor and role model to Florida's future leaders.
4. Help youth gain experience to launch their careers.
5. Teach young adults about the exciting career possibilities in public service.
6. Join our network of over 200 program participants and community partners!
How to get involved
If you would like to make a difference in a young adults life by getting involved and becoming a supervisor/mentor or would like to learn more please contact Ms. Antigone A. Anderson at (850) 404-6079 or Antigone.Anderson@myfwc.com.