December Commission Meeting
The FWC Commission listened to public testimony on and discussed several marine fisheries management items at the Dec. 11-12 meeting in Panama City.
Decision making (regulation changes were made on these topics):
- Spotted seatrout: The Commission approved a final proposal to make several changes to how the spotted seatrout fishery is managed statewide. (These changes do not replace the current red tide-related catch-and-release measures in SW Florida.)
Draft proposals (these items will be brought back to a future meeting for final decision):
- Gulf red snapper: The Commission listened to a staff update on the 2019 recreational Gulf red snapper harvest season, approved proposed draft season dates for the 2020 season (June 11-July 24), and considered a draft proposal to that would extend FWC rules for harvest of red snapper by private recreational anglers into Gulf federal waters. Learn more and comment at MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments.
- Biscayne National Park: The Commission approved several proposed draft rules to implement fishing regulation changes in Biscayne National Park (BNP). Learn more and comment at MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments.
Discussions (no regulation changes anticipated on these items):
- Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary: The Commission provided direction on proposed regulatory changes for Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
- Lionfish Challenge 2019: The Commission honored the 2019 Lionfish Challenge winners and presented them with their awards.
- Federal fishery management updates: The Commission discussed the outcomes of recent meetings of the South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico fishery management councils.
Links for more information:
Fishing in the Know
The Marine Fisheries Management Monthly Newsletter
A quick and easy way to keep in the know about changes to state and federal regulations, current season openings and closures and Marine Fishery events.
- Fishing in the Know - January 2020
- Printer-friendly Newsletter
- Last Month's Fishing in the Know - December 2019
Marine Fisheries Management Quarterly Column
This quarterly column focuses on fishing across Florida, from the best bait to catch a cobia with to how to know what to fish for on vacation.