October Commission Meeting
The FWC Commission listened to public testimony on and discussed several marine fisheries management items at the Oct. 2-3 meeting in Cape Canaveral.
Decision making (regulation changes were made on these topics):
- Blackfin tuna: The Commission approved a final proposal to create a recreational bag limit of two fish per person per day or 10 fish per vessel per day, whichever is greater, and to extend these limits into federal waters. These changes are effective Jan. 1, 2020. News Release.
- Northeast Florida shrimp: The Commission approved a final proposal to make changes to commercial inshore shrimp regulations in Northeast Florida.
Draft proposals (these items will be brought back to a future meeting for final decision):
- Spotted seatrout: The Commission moved forward with a draft proposal to make several changes to how spotted seatrout are managed statewide.T he Commission also directed staff to continue considering public input and update the proposal as needed prior to bringing this back at a future meeting for final approval. News Release.
- Biscayne National Park: The Commission moved forward with a proposal that will be used to gather additional public feedback before being brought back for a draft rule hearing at the December meeting in Panama City Beach. News Release.
Discussions (no regulation changes expected on these items):
- Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary: Staff and invited guests provided a presentation on proposed regulatory changes for the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, including next steps.
- Federal fishery management updates: The Commission discussed the outcomes of recent meetings of the South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico fishery management councils.
Links for more information:
Fishing in the Know
The Marine Fisheries Management Monthly Newsletter
A quick and easy way to keep in the know about changes to state and federal regulations, current season openings and closures and Marine Fishery events.
- Fishing in the Know - October 2019
- Printer-friendly Newsletter
- Last Month's Fishing in the Know - September 2019
Marine Fisheries Management Quarterly Column
This quarterly column focuses on fishing across Florida, from the best bait to catch a cobia with to how to know what to fish for on vacation.