December Commission Meeting
The FWC Commission will listen to public testimony on and discuss several marine fisheries management items at the Dec. 11-12 meeting in Panama City. (Unless noted, all items are on Dec. 12).
Decision making (regulation changes on these topics):
- Spotted seatrout: The Commission will consider a final proposal to make several changes to how the spotted seatrout fishery is managed statewide.
Draft proposals (these items will be brought back to a future meeting for final decision):
- Gulf red snapper: The Commission will listen to a staff update on the 2019 recreational Gulf red snapper harvest season, propose draft season dates for the 2020 season, and consider a draft proposal to that would extend FWC rules for harvest of red snapper by private recreational anglers into Gulf federal waters. Learn more and comment at MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments.
- Biscayne National Park: The Commission will consider several proposed draft rules to implement fishing regulation changes in Biscayne National Park (BNP). Learn more and comment at MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments.
Discussions (no regulation changes anticipated on these items):
- Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary: The Commission will consider providing direction on proposed regulatory changes for Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
- Lionfish Challenge 2019: The Commission will honor the 2019 Lionfish Challenge winners and present them with their awards. (Dec. 11)
- Federal fishery management updates: The Commission will discuss the outcomes of recent meetings of the South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico fishery management councils. (Dec. 11)
Links for more information:
Fishing in the Know
The Marine Fisheries Management Monthly Newsletter
A quick and easy way to keep in the know about changes to state and federal regulations, current season openings and closures and Marine Fishery events.
- Fishing in the Know - December 2019
- Printer-friendly Newsletter
- Last Month's Fishing in the Know - November 2019
Marine Fisheries Management Quarterly Column
This quarterly column focuses on fishing across Florida, from the best bait to catch a cobia with to how to know what to fish for on vacation.