Florida is the United States’ most popular state for birding and wildlife viewing with both domestic and international visitors; And for good reason, Florida is home to a wide variety of species, many of which are not found anywhere else in the United States. Planning a birding and wildlife viewing trip to Florida can be quite daunting so we have created this page to help YOU plan your wildlife viewing adventure.
Navigating the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail
Ready Set Go Guides
There are a many ways of navigating the Great Florida Birding & Wildlife Trail. Flying into one of our airports and looking for a short trip into the wild? Check out our Ready Set Go … Wild guides.
Ready Set Go…Wild Orlando
Ready Set Go…Wild Tampa
Use our Nature Viewing mobile app to get directions to all of the Great Florida Birding & Wildlife Trail sites.
- Open the app and click on the Florida icon (top left).
- A list of Great Florida Birding & Wildlife Trail sites will populate (nearest one to your current location will be listed first).
- Click on map (top right corner). Google maps will open allowing you to get directions from your current position.
- Alternatively you can click 493 sites (top left corner) and scroll through a list of all the sites.
Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Guides
Here is a list of items you will need, to help maximize your wildlife viewing experience in Florida.
- Binoculars and telescope. We have loaner optics programs at several trail sites where you can borrow binoculars to use on site.
- Digital camera with plenty of memory cards (photographic opportunities are excellent in Florida).
- Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail guides.
- Insect repellent.
- Appropriate outdoor clothing (UV protective hat and clothing is recommended).
- Florida Atlas & Gazetteer.
- The Great Florida Birding & Wildlife Trail mobile app (available for apple and android devices).