A Daily-Use Permit is required to enter this area, unless you have purchased a Wildlife Management Area Permit. To hunt or fish you must also possess the appropriate license and permit.
Interpretive kiosks are located at the main Chassahowitzka entrance and at the Indigo Road trailhead. Picnic facilities are located here as well. The Chassahowitzka Recreation Guide is a useful resource when visiting this area.
Map of Chassahowitzka WMA
The area is open to public access year round. Public access is prohibited from sunset until sunrise south of County Road 550. All persons shall enter and exit the area at a designated entrance.
Hunting Regulations, Map and Hunt Calendar
Vehicle use regulations
- Vehicles may be operated only on named or numbered roads.
- Parked vehicles may not obstruct a road, gate or firelane.
- No motor vehicle shall be operated on any part of any wildlife management area that has been designated as closed to vehicular traffic.
- The use of tracked vehicles, all-terrain vehicles or unlicensed and unregistered motorcycles is prohibited.
- Horses are allowed on named roads only.
- During non-hunting periods bicycles are allowed on named roads only.
- During periods open for hunting and during a 7-day scouting period prior to each hunt, bicycles are allowed throughout the area.
Rules Regarding Dogs
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Dogs are prohibited south of County Road 550.Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited.
- Hunting dogs may be taken onto the WMA after 8 a.m. the day before the opening of a season and shall be removed by 6 p.m. one day after the end of the season. Hunting deer with dogs with a shoulder height of 17 inches or less is allowed in Zone B during general gun season. Dogs with a shoulder height greater than 17 inches are prohibited in Zone B, except during wild hog-dog and raccoon seasons dogs of any size are allowed in Zones B and C. Only bird dogs or retrievers are allowed in Annutteliga Hammock and Zones A and C, except during wild hog-dog and raccoon seasons dogs of any size are allowed in Zones B and C. Hunting wild hog with dogs is prohibited during all seasons except wild hog-dog season; more than three free-running dogs per hunting group is prohibited. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited. Dogs on leashes may be used for trailing wounded game. Dogs are prohibited south of County Road 550. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action.
Main Entrance: From US 98, take US 19 South 4.5 miles. Then entrance will be on the west side of the road.
Annutteliga Hammock Entrance: From US 98, take US 19 South 4.5 miles. Turn east onto Thrasher Ave. Continue for 2.2 miles to Penn State Rd. and turn north for 0.5 miles. Then entrance is at the end of Penn State Rd.
View a location map
Additional wildlife viewing sites in the vicinity.
Crystal River (15 miles north), Inverness (15 miles northeast), and Brooksville (10 miles east).