Wildlife Through the Year: October
- Warbler migration peaks early this month.
- Monarch butterfly migration nears its peak along
Florida's Gulf coast.
- Turkey vultures return mid-month to Miami courthouse and other
areas in south Florida.
- Peak in chimney swift migrations in South Florida.
- Black bears are on the move, gathering food.
If you live in bear country, drive slow and be sure your garbage
cans are bear-proofed.
- Gray foxes begin mating this month.
- Northeast Florida: Look for migrating Peregrine falcons in natural areas,
especially along the coast as they follow shorebird prey.
- Deer mating season begins in northeast and central
- Flying squirrels will be raising their second
litters and moving into pecan groves as the nuts ripen.
- Flatwoods salamanders breed with the first heavy rains of
- Lights Out! Sea turtles emerge from their nests and
head for the ocean.