Wildlife Through the Year: December
- Annual Christmas Bird Count begins mid-month.
- Buy live Christmas trees for later planting - red cedar, holly
and pine are nice.
- Great horned and barred owls are courting; listen for their
- During cold spells, manatees congregate at natural springs and
industrial warm water sites.
- Bears are still on the move. Watch out for
them in Lake, Collier, Marion, Highlands, Jefferson, Gulf, Volusia
and Hernando counties.
- Belted kingfishers become more common as winter migrants join
- Right whales appear off east
coast north of Sebastian Inlet.
- Snail kites in south Florida begin
courtship this month.
- Goldfinches are plentiful in north Florida.
- Nesting season begins for ospreys in south Florida.
- December and January are best times for watching waterfowl on
wetlands, lakes, and prairies.
- In north Florida, bald eagles start hatching about Christmas
- Opossum breeding now through mid-summer.