Interns will assist with manatee rescue, carcass salvage, and research for ten counties in southwest Florida.
Normally, two positions are available each year: one position in the spring (January-April) and one position in the fall (September-December). Hours are usually Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., but some evening and weekend hours may be required. Interns will assist with manatee rescue, carcass salvage, and research for ten counties in southwest Florida. Interns will operate trucks, trailers, and boats up to 22' in length. Interns will assist with manatee and dolphin field necropsies as needed and conduct photo ID and radio tracking research as time permits. Interns will also complete mortality reports, label and catalog slides, perform equipment maintenance, and assist with other office and public outreach work as needed.
- College juniors, seniors, and recent graduates are eligible.
- Interns must have some research field experience.
- Interns must be comfortable speaking to the public.
- Interns must be proficient in the use of 35 mm cameras, telephoto lenses, and filters.
- Interns should be able to drive manual transmission trucks.
- Computer literacy preferred.
- Previous animal handling experience is desirable but not necessary.
- Ability to trailer flatbeds and boats, operate watercraft up to 22' in length and experience with radio telemetry tracking gear is desirable, but can be trained.
- Interns must possess a valid US Class E driver's license, be able to lift 50 lbs., and swim.
- Interns should understand that this job will require them to be wet, dirty and outdoors in all weather conditions.
We are accepting applications for the fall and winter sessions. Please indicate in your cover letter the position for which you are applying. Please send a hard copy of your résumé along with your cover letter, college transcripts, three references, and contact information to the following address:
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
Southwest Field Laboratory
585 Prineville Drive
Port Charlotte, FL 33954
Office: (941) 613-0944
Fax: (941) 613-0948
These intern positions are open until filled.
*This position is unpaid. Housing is not provided, and interns must provide their own transportation to and from the field station in Port Charlotte, Florida.
For more information, please visit the FWRI Internships section.