The Gun and Light at Night Permit authorizes individuals to take depredating wildlife (beaver, bobcat, fox, opossum, rabbit, raccoon, otter, skunk or nutria) at night with a gun and light on land that they own or possess the written permission of the landowner. Under special restrictions, authorizes harassment (scaring) deer causing damage to crops with a gun and light at night.
The permit is not required to take wild hog, coyote, armadillo, black or Norway rat, and house mouse, with a gun and light during non-daylight hours.
What this permit allows:
- The permit holder and assistants to use a gun and light at night to take (kill) certain wildlife that are causing destruction of crops and/or livestock.
- The landowner - or the permit holder with written permission of the landowner - to take certain wildlife with a gun and light at night on their land or permitted property.
- To take certain wildlife that are causing damage only in the immediate area where the damage to crops and/or livestock is taking place.
- The taking (killing) of the selected wildlife causing damage: beaver, bobcat, fox, possum, rabbit, raccoon, otter, skunk or nutria.
- Under special restrictions, deer causing damage to crops can be harassed (scared) with a gun and light at night under this permit when authorized.
- Both the permit and written permission of the landowner, if applicable, must accompany each person while using a gun and light at night under the terms of the permit.
- In many cases the method of taking the wildlife causing damage under this permit is limited to using a rimfire rifle.
- Before engaging in the permitted activities you must call 1-888-404-3922 to inform FWC of the date and time of the planned permitted activity.
What this permit does NOT allow:
- The discharge of firearms in areas not allowed by state law or court injunctions/orders.
- The possession of firearms by individuals not allowed by state law or court injunctions/orders.
- Anyone without a valid hunting license to engage in the permitted activities unless exempt from license requirements.
- A fee to be charged to anyone to participate in the permitted activities.
- The sale of any wildlife or parts of wildlife taken under this permit.
- The taking of wildlife:
- not listed on the permit,
- not on the property listed on the permit, or
- away from the immediate area where the damage to crops and/or livestock is taking place.
- The permit holder to be under the age of 18.
Information you must have available to apply for this permit:
- Name, date of birth and driver's license or state identification number of the permit holder.
- Address and contact telephone number of the permit holder and landowner.
- The location of the property, including the Parcel ID. You will find the Parcel ID on your property tax bill; or it is available from your County Property Appraiser's Office.
- If approved, the permit holder must print the permits. Permits will not be mailed by FWC.
- E-mail address, if the applicant would like to receive notification regarding your application if permit is not approved and available to print after the application process has been completed.
- A printer and Adobe Reader.
How to apply for this permit:
- Click on the "Apply for Gun & Light Permit" button below. This will take you to a login screen.
- If you have previously applied online for an FWC special permit (AMP, SUV, MI, Antlerless Deer, Deer Dog Permit, Persons with Disabilities Crossbow Permit, Disabled Resident Hunting/Fishing License, or currently hold a Gun and Light at Night Permit), enter your username and password, or other identifying information.
- If you have not applied online for an FWC special permit before, click on "Register Here" and enter the requested information to create your user account and continue.
- Complete the form and choose “Save and Continue” at the bottom to proceed.
- Click the “Apply for New Permit” link.
- Complete each page providing the necessary information.
- Once the application is submitted it will be automatically approved and you will be able to print the permit document, via the “View Document” button.
- If you supplied an e-mail address, you will receive notification regarding your permit application if applicable.
- Read and sign the permit document.