Snook Permit Refund Process
The unseasonably cold temperatures experienced in January 2010 resulted in widespread fish kills throughout Florida. At the June 9, 2011 Commission Meeting, Commissioners received a staff report regarding the latest information on the impact of the cold temperatures on the snook population, which suggests that snook on Florida's Atlantic coast were less severely impacted by cold weather than Gulf coast snook. Based on this information and public comment, the Commission agreed to reopen the snook harvest season September 1, 2011 in Atlantic state waters and return to the original season structure and maintain a catch-and-release snook fishery in Gulf state waters.
In Gulf state and federal waters, including Everglades National Park and Monroe County, snook harvest will remain closed until Aug. 31, 2013.
Snook seasons and bag limits
Anglers may still catch and release snook during snook harvest closures without a Snook Permit.
Per 379.354(8)(c) of the Florida Statutes, revenue generated from the sale of snook permits is used exclusively for programs to benefit the snook population. If you would like to continue to support these snook programs you do not need to take any action. If, however, you would like to request a refund please complete the following process.
You are eligible for a $2 refund if you are a Gulf Coast snook angler and:
1. Have a Snook Permit with a starting date between 12/01/2009 and 06/30/2010;
2. Have a 5-Year Snook Permit ($2 per year of closure) with a starting date between 12/01/2005 and 06/30/2010; or
3. Have a Gold Sportsman License with a starting date on or after 12/01/2009.
You are eligible for a $10 refund if you are a Gulf Coast snook angler and:
1. Have a Snook Permit with a starting date on or after 07/01/2010; or
2. Have a 5-Year Snook Permit ($10 per year of closure) with a starting date on or after 07/01/2010.
Because the eligible refund amount for Military Gold or Lifetime Saltwater licenses is 20 cents or less, we will not be processing refunds for these license categories.
Requests for refunds must be received by 09/01/2013
Once you request a refund your Snook Permit privileges are voided.
(Until 08/31/2013 for 5 year Permits)
If you would like to request a refund for your eligible Snook Permit, you will need to complete the following steps:
1. Read the above information thoroughly.
2. Complete an Application for Refund . Requests for refunds must be received by 09/01/2013.
3. Make a legible photocopy of your entire Snook Permit or license that contains a Snook Permit.
4. Mail your completed Application for Refund along with the photocopy of your Snook Permit to the following address:
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Gulf Coast Voluntary Snook Permit Refund
2590 Executive Center Circle, Suite 200
Please allow at least 90 days to receive your refund check.
Incomplete requests for refunds will not be processed.